Panthers defeat Trinity to advance in playoffs

For the last regular season game of the fall, the Panthers travelled to Williamstown to take on the formidable Ephs in a match-up that would determine whether Middlebury would be awarded home field advantage for Sunday’s playoff game. Additionally, the game provided the two NESCAC powerhouses with the opportunity to test each other out before a potential playoff meeting. While the Panthers fell 3-0 to their Route 7 rivals, the team has the chance to avenge the loss in the NESCAC semis this Saturday, when they travel to Amherst for the rematch.
Friday’s contest was closer than the score indicated, as the teams battled through a scoreless first half that saw both Middlebury and Williams create some dangerous chances. First-year standout forward Scarlett Kirk ’14 attempted five of the six Panther shots in the half, nearly scoring on a beautiful header that was thwarted by the Williams keeper. The Ephs, in contrast, managed just three shots.
“We played well in the first half, stifling almost all of their attacks, and creating a number of clear-cut chances to score,” said coach Peter Kim. “The first half ended scoreless and the game looked like it could go either way.”
However, Williams came out to play in the second half, and scored two goals in quick succession to deflate the Panthers’ attack. The Ephs netted an insurance goal to finish the day with a solid 3-0 win over Middlebury.
“Under the pressure of a solid team and conceding several goals in a short span of time, we lost our composure and became less of a threat on the counterattack,” concluded coach Kim of Friday’s loss.
Despite this disappointing result, Kim quickly switched his focus towards building the team back up for Sunday’s playoff game, which saw a different Middlebury team take the field –– one with renewed energy, determination, and composure on the ball.
The fifth-seeded Panthers traveled to Connecticut on Sunday to take on the fourth-seeded Bantams, and succeeded in avenging their home-opening loss to Trinity, defeating their opponents by the same score they lost to earlier in the season. In a dominant display of the team’s improvement over the course of the season, Middlebury was firing on all cylinders on Sunday. The turnaround from Friday’s loss was due in large part to the improved play of the midfield.
“That was really the difference between the two matches,” said coach Kim. “Our midfield controlled the game in Connecticut, and that allowed us to play more creatively on attack.”
It did not take long for the Panthers to get on the board against Trinity, as Nora Tomlinson-Weintraub ’11 volleyed a Drew Smith ’11 cross into the net with less than 10 minutes elapsed on the clock. While Middlebury’s offense continued to threaten the Bantams’ goal throughout the first half, Trinity managed some scoring opportunities of their own that narrowly missed the mark. The Bantams, a much-improved team this fall, represented a fast and physical style of play, and nearly equalized on several occasions. However, Middlebury netted an insurance goal in the 66th minute when Kirk took a pass from fellow first-year Julie Favorito ’14 and beat two defenders then the goalie to give the Panthers a 2-0 lead.
With the upset win, the Panthers remain in the hunt for the NESCAC crown. The convincing shutout proves that when it comes to playoff time, this team steps up its game. Middlebury will travel to Amherst, the host of the finals weekend, to take on the Ephs for the second consecutive weekend in a game that carries far more significance than its regular season counterpart. If the Panthers continue their organized, fast-paced play of the post-season opener, the Ephs should be prepared to take on a much more threatening opponent.