POSSE retreat is a success on all accounts

Author: Angelica Maria Towne '08

On April 1, over 80 Middlebury students filed onto two buses to spend the weekend at a resort for something called a POSSE Plus Retreat. For those who didn't know what a retreat entailed or even what POSSE Plus meant, the two-hour ride to Lake Morey was spent clarifying rumors. If POSSE isn't a gang, what is it? If a POSSE Plus Retreat doesn't just address issues with racism, what does it address? If POSSE is exclusive, why am I here?

First-year POSSE Scholar Brian Pacheco explained briefly in between naps. "POSSE is a scholarship program for exceptional students and leaders from urban public schools. POSSE Plus or POSSE Plus People for alliteration, are the students who go on this retreat that are not in POSSE," said Brian to the giggling bus. "And you were invited to this retreat because a POSSE scholar respects and wants to hear your opinions about issues affecting Middlebury."

The specifics of the retreat were left semi-mysterious until its start. Most only knew the snazzy topic from reading their invitation - Get up! Stand up! Apathy Empathy and Activism at Middlebury College. The topic was designed by POSSE scholars in response to a growing controversy at Middlebury over what is the most appropriate reaction to offensive incidents on campus. At an all-POSSE meeting, they discussed specific controversial incidents such as contentious parties themed "Cowboys and Indians," and "CEO's and Executive Hoes," as well as the reactions these incidents elicited such as demonstrations, discussions and publications in The Middlebury Campus.

Bigger questions arose about the dynamics of Middlebury's social atmosphere. Why are potentially offensive events created and tolerated or not? Is the Middlebury community apathetic? Does Middlebury repress or encourage activism? What are the effective means of communication and mobilization on campus? How can students choose which issues to ignore? Where can a student's voice be heard? Do all students have a responsibility to take action? Does activism even make a difference?

The POSSE Foundation staff hoped through the discussions, honest dialogues, fun games, intense deliberations and unique exercises planned for the retreat, that the Middlebury students and faculty in attendance would uncover new insights, tactics of activism and inspiration to contribute to the Middlebury community. It comes as no surprise that many returned claiming they had "an entirely new perspective on the power of an individual at Middlebury and in society," as first-year Lemar Clarke recounted. Charzetta Nixon, a junior POSSE scholar who, although she attends the POSSE Plus Retreat every year, still found the retreat to be life-changing. She said, "The retreat was a wonderful way for me to reflect on what I stand for and permitted me to see that I do not have to feel guilty about being an artist and not a grass roots revolutionary. I realized that through my art I can make a stance and affect change." Faculty responses were equally approving. Assistant Professor of Chemistry and Biochemistry Roger Sandwick echoed this enthusiasm, stating, "It was great fun and I learned a tremendous amount about POSSE, Middlebury students, Middlebury College life and myself. I would say in the three years I've been at Middlebury, the retreat was perhaps the most worthwhile event I've attended."

Microlab, arguably one of the most mind-blowing exercises, entailed a small discussion circle of about six members of a group being enclosed by a larger circle of people. While an honest dialogue amongst the members of some of the most marginalized groups on campus took place in the small circle, everyone else listened silently.

Homosexuals, athletes, conservatives and feminists groups that are deeply affected by stereotypes prejudices and misrepresentation, answered questions freely and had a chance to be heard. "I'd never heard an intelligent conservative viewpoint before - when Bush speaks I just boo or change the channel. I'm glad I was forced to really listen. It's changed the way I view other people and the way I view myself," said first-year Aaron Gensler. First-year POSSE Scholar Merisha Enoe was also moved, commenting, "Witnessing the groups interact without a condemning voice - such a great way of learning - just listening."

However, there was also plenty of time for those who were interested in engaging in some serious discussions. "I finally got a chance to address those so-called sketchy issues. We were an intellectual community at its finest, discussing how our identities shape who we are and what we fight for," declared sophomore POSSE scholar ReNard Rogers who continued, saying, "I have a better understanding of how issues with gender, ethnicity, sexuality, religion, class and privilege divide a community." Senior POSSE Scholar Lauren Curatolo, after a riveting game of butt shuffle, concluded, "Our fire is now burning so brightly that it will, I am sure, light up this campus and the world."

The retreat experience is different for each individual depending upon the amount of time one invests in socializing, playing, debating or reflecting. A tight schedule of thought provoking workshops, three-course meals and discussions kept the POSSE Plus-ers engaged and excited. First-year POSSE scholar Aifuwa Ehigiator, for one, left with a new sense of community. "The retreat came at a great time when I needed a break from Midd and needed some POSSE love. The most important thing the retreat did was making me understand that I am loved by many and appreciated by even more," she said.