Relay co-chairs race toward goal

“Cancer affects everyone. I have lost too many friends and family members to the disease, and Relay for Life provides a tangible way to raise money to fight back,” said Middlebury Relay for Life co-chair Mia Lieb-Lappen ’10. Lieb-Lappen’s answer to “Why do you Relay?” stems from the Relay slogan “Celebrate, Remember and Fight Back.” This year, Lieb-Lappen and fellow co-chair Sarah Bryan ’10 invite Middlebury students and community members to do just that on Friday, April 23.

Picture-19

This year’s theme is board games, with the slogan, “Don’t let cancer pass Go.” Bryan and Lieb-Lappen said that past participants can expect the same fun activities at the event and encouraged those new to Relay to join a team and start fundraising.

Staples of past Relays to expect again this year include rows of team campsites, performances by student and community groups, the Luminaria ceremony, guest speakers and, of course, lots of walking laps. This year, Assistant Professor of Biology Jeremy Ward will deliver a keynote address about cancer research, and Bryan and Lieb-Lappen revealed that attendees can expect to hear from another guest speaker, as well. Bryan also added that a new addition to this year’s Relay is a method for counting laps in which walkers will receive one bead for every lap completed to string together as a symbol in representation of the team’s total distance walked.

“Cancer never sleeps. So, why should we?” Bryan shared as the tagline the Relay for Life committee uses. Bryan explained that Relay for Life is much more than one night of walking circles around a tent city, and encouraged Relay for Life participants to recognize that because cancer is constantly claiming lives, they should be fundraising continuously.
“Cancer is not going to stop because we had an economic crisis,” Bryan stated.

“Now, more than ever, people need the help,” Lieb-Lappen added.

Last year, Middlebury Relay’s 90 teams, made up of 980 participants from the College and community, raised $114,800. This year, they hope to have 1,000 participants and raise $130,000.

The main goal for this year’s Relay, aside from raising as much money as possible for cancer research, Bryan explained, is to attract more community involvement. “There can be such a disconnect between the College and the community,” she said. “This is a great way to work with our neighbors towards a common goal.”

In an effort to connect the College and the community, Relay will be hosting its second kick-off the weekend of March 13 at 51 Main. Bryan said that this kick-off, similar to the one held at Pub Night during Winter Term, provides an opportunity to come together and discuss the purpose of Relay, answer questions about the event and the American Cancer Society, register new teams and turn in money for existing teams, form community among teams and generally create excitement about the event.

Another joint effort between the College and the community to fundraise is called Relay Week and will occur April 2-8. During these five days, various businesses in town will donate a percent of proceeds to Middlebury Relay for Life. Lieb-Lappen reminds students that Relay Week occurs the week after spring break and encourages them to save some shopping for that time.

Anyone interested in registering for this year’s Relay can do so at the Second Kick-Off or online at www.relayforlife.org/middleburycollege. Once registered, participants have a personal page on the Web site that enables them to conduct fundraising online. The site even provides template e-mails to send to family and friends, complete with a link that they can click to donate online. Lieb-Lappen emphasized the importance of early registration to allow time for fundraising.

Bryan suggested little ways to reach fundraising goals. “You can return bottles and cans, collect change or, instead of buying a $5 sandwich every week, donate that money to Relay,” she said.

Thi

s year’s fundraising is particularly important because it marks a milestone for Middlebury. The Middlebury chapter of Relay was founded seven years ago by Mia’s older brother, Ross Lieb-Lappen ’07, and Meg Young ’07, and in the next month, the chapter is projected to reach a total of $1 million in donations. Lieb-Lappen and Bryan hope to host a party to celebrate this achievement.

So, why should the College and community register today for Relay?

“I Relay because cancer touches so many lives, and not only the people with the disease — their friends and family, too,” Bryan concluded. “Cancer knows no boundaries, but it’s a solvable problem. Relay is a chance to raise money that goes toward research to prevent the disease from claiming more lives.”

Questions and suggestions regarding this year’s Relay for Life should be directed to relayforlife@middlebury.edu.