Removing Middlebury from the recruiting circuit hurts Midd students Online Edition Special

Author: Pat Zomer '05

The recent controversy regarding the Marine Corps presence on the campus has sparked a lively debate regarding recruiting policy here at Midd. Like many of those who wrote in, I too disagree with the 'Don't ask, Don't tell' policy of the United States military and hope the US military will follow the example of the United Kingdom and allow everyone to serve in the military regardless of sexual orientation. However, I also hope the college administration does not bar the armed services from returning to campus.

Removing Middlebury from the recruiting circuit hurts both Midd students and the military, while doing nothing to influence the lawmakers who legalized 'Don't ask, Don't tell.' That's right, OUR chosen representatives are the ones who instituted this policy. The military offered testimony supporting the proposal but it was the elected officials in Washington who gave us the policy and it is only our elected leaders who can change the policy. Preventing military recruiters from visiting campus further insulates the armed forces from voices questioning their policies. Though many expressed dissatisfaction with the open meeting conducted by the Marine Corps during its recent visit to campus, some constructive dialogue emerged from the session and the following community meeting of February 28th. If these meetings continue during subsequent trips to campus by the military, one would hope the dialogue will continue and improve.

Recent events - Abu Ghraib to name one - illustrate the military's need for a more educated and humane officer corps. Midd is crawling with the highly educated, multi-talented, and physically gifted recruits our military needs. One would hope our fellow students could raise the moral and intellectual character of our military at a time when it desperately needs it. In his recent submission, Professor Moss lamented that "students in the Marine Corp's Platoon Leaders Class program don't seem likely" to promote policy change. I ask members of the Midd community to consider the alternative - an officer corps educated exclusively at either the military academies, one of the oldest of the "good ole" boy's clubs, or at colleges like Bob Jones University, where not only are members of the same gender prevented from dating, but so are members of different races.

The college does not prevent investment banks or Wall Street firms who helped cook the books for Enron and other corporate criminals recruit on campus. Nor does it have a problem cultivating a relationship with Dennis Kozlowski - until he got caught. We have no problem ignoring that women are paid less in the corporate world than men. We turn a blind eye to the lily white board rooms of the financial firms who show up every fall. What message do we send if we bar the military? If you have money, come on in- you defend our country, no thanks. 'Don't ask, Don't tell' on the books, no way- don't ask don't tell as an unwritten code of operations, where do you want your recruiting table set up?

I believe 'Don't ask, Don't tell' is wrong. I also plan on confronting the issue in the appropriate arena, both in the voting booth and through letters to my elected officials. I hope those who are outraged by the military's policy continue voicing their opinions and educating the nation. However, baring the military from campus will not change the 'Don't ask, Don't tell' policy. Baring the military will set an uncomfortable double standard on campus where money gets you access. Preventing military recruiters will prevent some students from learning about how Uncle Sam will pick up the $40,000+ price tag for a Middlebury education. Stopping the military from coming here will deprive it of the enlightened officer corps it so desperately needs. As a student, as a taxpayer, and as an American, I encourage President Liebowitz to continue allowing the military services to recruit on campus.