RIDDIM Rolls Out the Red Carpet to Go Behind the Scenes

Author: Caroline Stauffer

Friday, April 18, 9:30 p.m. McCullough Social Space erupted into a scene of mass chaos as approximately 300 Middlebury students anxiously awaited the opportunity to see the second performance of Riddim World Dance Troupe's "Riddim: Behind the Moves."
"I promise I had tickets... I signed my name on the list!" several students begged at the door, anxious to be allowed in to see the show.
A limited amount of free tickets were distributed at Proctor and Ross dining halls on Monday and Tuesday, and every seat in McCullough was filled with students standing in the back at both the 7:00 and 9:30 shows Friday night.
This performance marked the introduction of two performances in one night for the troupe. "[This was] an idea we had always entertained but never attempted until this spring," Club Director Alice Quist, '03 said.
"I was extremely glad that we managed to fill two full houses, it makes all our hard work worth it," Edlyn Chao, '03 said. "We really love to give the crowd a good time."
The packed audience created an appropriate atmosphere for the troupe's entrance via a red carpet leading onto the stage.
The show continued with a novel structure. 'Behind the scenes,' video clips of Riddim members spaced out the world dance troop's performances, creating "a show within a show."
"This spring's show: 'Behind the Moves: RIDDIM' is definitely our most 'produced,'" Overall Riddim Director, Janine Knight, '03 said. "It gives us time to change while entertaining the crowd in an interesting and (to me) hilarious way!"
"Earlier in the week, we were a bit concerned about whether we would have enough time to change between the video clips," Quist said, "but we seemed to have pulled it off with help from Elizabeth Schaumberg, '06."
In preparation for the video, Riddim spent many hours and days taping and editing to capture "the perfect clips," according to Knight.
Knight, along with Quist and Heather Collamore, '04, worked with the Middlebury Community television studios to ensure the best quality film possible.
While many of the clips were spoofs, such as "Midd Cribs," "Flashdancer" and "Real World," they still provided the audience with a chance to become better acquainted with the Riddim troop.
"They [the audience] will also realize that we strive for professionalism and rehearse diligently to produce the choreographer's vision," Knight said.
Besides boasting the addition of the film clips, this spring's performance is more technical than past Riddim productions, according to Knight, with numerous technical staff members working to ensure a smoothly running show. Courtney Hess, '03 served as technical director of the show and designed the lighting as Light Board Operator. Brittney Dunn-Komeh, '05 served as Stage Manager, Juliana Grand, '03 as Projector Operator, Schaumberg as Costume Designer and Daryn Cambridge, '03 as Sound Board Operator.
Also contrasting with previous performances, the show did not feature Master's of Ceremonies and featured only one guest performance, a humorous piece by the self proclaimed "Riddim Rejects," a feature Quist views as one of the show's highlights. The full performance was also shorter than past shows because there was no intermission.
One aspect that has remained consistent in the past three Spring Riddim shows is that the show is dedicated to the "four Angels," four Riddim members who lost their lives in an accident in the spring of 2000.
The show contained nine dances, and the production truly reflected the Club's multi-cultural purpose. "Hip-Hop Soldiers" featured the original work of slam poet Crystal Belle, '04. The audience was taken around the world with "Tropical Salsarengue," choreographed by Luisa Ivette Peralta '03 and "Tahitian Beats," choreographed by Heather Collamore, '03.5. Music ranged from Gospel to Ghetto.
While Chao admitted that the crowd for the 7:00 show was a little quiet, "the crowd of the second show never hesitated to hoot and holler, that always boosts our adrenaline!" she said.
"We were happy to see McCullough packed for both shows," Quinn said. "We were able to perform twice in one night without any glitches."
"Riddim: Behind the Moves" was the last performance for the seven senior troupe members: Knight, Quist, Chao, Peralta, Jan'l Hastings-Robinson, Peter Koh and Ulises Zanello.
"Being a member of RIDDIM has been one of the most rewarding experiences at Midd because I got to spend time with 23 other people who share the same passion for dance as I do," Quist said.
"I love dancing, I love my Riddim family, and I will miss them so much," Chao added.
Following the show, a date auction of Riddim members took place with all proceeds going to the Volunteer Services Organization.
"The date auction didn't go as well I would have liked because most people left after the show," Chao said, "but we still raised money for our Angel's scholarship fund as well as Volunteer Service Organization's Hunger project, which is what really matters."
The star-studded night ended with a "Celebrity" after party with DJ Kadion in McCullough.