Rugby drives St. Mike’s into the mud

After a change of both time and venue for Middlebury’s match against St. Michael’s College last weekend the MCRC fought their way to a final score of 60-8. The game provided the opportunity for some different players to prove their worth and for others to receive the much-needed rest that is crucial to this team’s ongoing success.

“It was a good opportunity for us to rest some players with injuries and to get some guys on the field that hadn’t had the chance yet,” said co-captain Brian Sirkia ’12.5. While there was great play from many men on the field Sebastien Damberg-Ott ’12.5, who added two tries to the scoreboard, and Michael Pappa ’11, did exceptionally well.

“Seb had a great game, and Pappa made his presence felt every time he had the ball in hand by always going forward and gaining ground,” said Sirkia. “They both have been working really hard all fall so it was great to see them capitalize when they got the opportunity to play.”

The Middlebury College men’s rugby team got off to a fairly chaotic start and continued to seem disheveled for most of the game. Despite the confusion they were able to score try after try out of muddled situations through hard work and determination.

“There were phases were we played our game but we couldn’t do it consistently,” said Drew Harasimowicz ’11.

Although the Panthers were somewhat frustrated with their play against St. Michael’s they were overpowering the Purple Knights and scoring many tries.

“St. Michael’s could not adjust to our strength of our clean, organized and punishing defensive wall,” said Sam Harrison ’11 who added a try to the scoreboard and continues to show great tackling in every game. Other tries were scored by Nat Kelner ’12, Allen Stafford ’13.5, Danny Powers ’11.5, Kennedy Mugo ’12, Luke Dauner ’13 and Jack Maher ’12.

“We had mistakes here and there, more than we would have hoped for, but we are still proving ourselves as the dominant force in the Northeast and in the country,” said Harrison.

The Middlebury College Rugby Club hosts their Alumni Reunion Weekend this upcoming Oct. 15-17. With a large portion of support coming from their alumni every year the MCRC is focused on making it an exceptional time and showing everyone what a talented squad they have this season.

“We have a hard game coming up this weekend against URI, so we will be back to full strength as we prepare for them this week,” said Harasimowicz.

Always looking for room in which to improve the MCRC plan to focus in practice with the same intensity they bring to every game. The Panthers are still striving to push their level of play up to the heights they know they can reach as a team, and with heart and determination they are climbing higher each week.