Sarwary's photo exhibit inspires students

Author: Grace Close

Entering the room of Bilal Sarwary '10, I was immediately struck by the unusual dÈcor - dozens of press passes hang from the walls, Afghan carpets cover the floor and Post-It notes of Farsi-English word translations are scattered above his computer. Coming to Middlebury College last year from Kabul, Afghanistan after working as a reporter and producer for BBC Kabul, Sarwary brought with him not only these artifacts, but also his stories.

These stories are being shared as part of the "Remembering Afghanistan" photography exhibition, which is currently on display in the Ross Fireplace Lounge. This year's exhibit focuses mainly on Sarwary's most recent trip to Kabul, whereas last year's showcase drew from his several years of employment with BBC, which took him all over the world.

Sarwary sees this collection of photographs as demonstrating the resilience of his countrymen.

"Despite terrorism, extreme poverty, death and destruction, young Afghans have continued to smile, to study and to hope for a better tomorrow," Sarwary said. "This is their story. This is a window into Afghanistan."

Sarwary wishes to bring the plight of Afghanis to the forefront of the viewers' minds with his photography, and he acheives this by highlighting the "human angle" in all of his work.

Each photograph is accompanied by a detailed caption describing the events that preceded the image. One of the most striking portraits is that of a 12-year-old Afghan girl named Fatima who, Sarwary remembered, desperately longed for a formal education, despite the odds she faces as a female in Afghanistan.

Photos like these are "attention-grabbers," where the common human condition portrayed evokes empathy and even compassion in the viewer. Megan Mishler '11, who attended the reception, was particularly moved by the picture of Fatima.

"I found it captivating to read a sentence or two about the young girl in this photograph," Mishler said. "I felt connected to her, even though we live miles apart."

The yearning of young Afghan children for the right to attend school is something that Sarwary has encountered often throughout his travels. Commenting on another image featuring two children, Gul Zamina and Bakht Zamina, Sarwary admired their courage in pursuing what we consider to be a universal human right.

"They are not asking for cookies or clothes - they are asking for education, something that they have never had before," Sarwary said.

When asked about his favorite photograph, Sarwary said, "the most difficult question you can ask a photographer is what the best image is. I think all of them are beautiful. However, one that strikes me is the one of the Kochis, a nomadic people in Afghanistan, who pursue education for the children."

Sarwary evoked the true nature of Afghanistan in the exhibition not only with his photography, but also with his personal connection to the country. His Afghan rugs are used as floor coverings and Afghan tea was served throughout the reception on Thursday. "I feel at home through my Afghan rugs," Sarwary explained.

Sarwary is connected to the people of Afghanistan, for he was born in Kabul himself. He left Kabul during his childhood during the civil war in the 1990s for Peshawar (a border town) along with other Afghan refugees. Sarwary returned just as the influx of foreign media entered Afghanistan in the aftermath of 9/11.

"Ironically, I was originally forced to leave Kabul from the civil war bombing," said Sarwary. "When I got back it was Americans bombing the Taliban. The devastation of Afghanistan continues."

However, throughout all the hardship, the Afghan civilians have remained determined. "What war does to you - it takes away," said Sarwary. "One of my main aims is to make sure that this does not happen to anyone else. The message, however, is obvious: the people in this country are very similar to you, they have joy, families and happiness, but they are plagued with war."

Sarwary plans to hold photography exhibitions like these at Middlebury in Washington, D.C., New York City and Boston. He wishes to go beyond Middlebury College. "My photography is one way of going and telling the United States about Afghanistan."

The situation facing Kabul is undoubtedly complex, but in Sarwary's opinion, his own mission is quite simple.

"I am simply trying to tell the stories of a people," he said.