SGA update: Senators fund OINK, Worth Mountain Lodge

During its Feb. 20 meeting, the Student Government Association (SGA) passed three pieces of legislation, including the Outdoor Introduction for New Kids (OINK) and Worth Mountain Lodge Bills and the Reading Period Resolution. The Gym Annex Bill was also discussed, but voting on the bill was postponed till a later date.

The OINK Bill outlined three proposed outdoor orientation models, one of which will be partially funded by the SGA starting in 2013. The first option would take place before general first year orientation, while the second option would be embedded within general first-year orientation. Participation in both of the first two models would be optional. The third option would be a mandatory outdoor orientation program, also embedded within general orientation.

All options would be jointly funded by the College and the SGA. The SGA would contribute $25,000 to partially fund Options 1 or 2 or $75,000 to partially fund Option 3.

No matter which model, all would additionally be need blind, offer financial aid, and provide necessary certification for trip leaders.

The Bill particularly emphasized the benefits of option 3 even though it was the most expensive. This option would not include a participant fee, and students would arrive on campus at one time and take part in General Orientation before breaking off into smaller groups to complete the program of their choice.

No matter the particular option chosen, the Bill’s sponsor, Senior Class Senator Anne Runkel, emphasized the importance of a program like OINK, citing its success at relieving first-year’s anxiety, helping to integrate upper and lower classmen, and providing students with valuable leadership opportunities.

In another passed Bill, also sponsored by Runkel, the SGA has decided to fund $5,000 for repairs to Worth Mountain Lodge. The lodge is located on the Snow Bowl property and is available for use year round to Middlebury College students and members of the Middlebury community.

Needed renovations include a new concrete foundation and interior costs, which include the removal of a woodstove, which currently poses a safety hazard. The costs of these renovations will total $15,000.

The burden of the cost will be shared equally by the Green Mountain Club and the College Administration, who will each additionally contribute $5,000 to the repairs.

During its meeting, the SGA also passed the Reading Period Resolution. Citing concerns about the shortness of the current reading period, which often coincides with the weekend, the resolution encourages the administration to consider a minimum two day reading period before finals, not including Saturday or Sunday. The bill’s sponsor, Brainerd Commons Senator Charles Arnowitz explained that these changes would help to ease the stress of Finals Week and allow students more flexibility in study times.

Meanwhile, the vote on the Gym Annex bill, which proposes transforming a widely unused space in Ross Commons into a small gym has been pushed to a later date due to concerns about the sustainability of the space.  Repairs and maintenance of the gym would be funded by the SGA.

Future considerations before the vote will also include a discussion with Ross Commons about the preferred types of equipment to be put into the space.