Shenanigans My history with Barack

Author: Alex Garlick

The image of Barack Obama taking the presidential oath in front of millions of onlookers Tuesday overwhelmed me. Just five years ago, I had never heard his name. In 2004, at John Kerry's nominating convention in my hometown, he burst onto the national scene; now, four years later, he is our forty-fourth president. His ascension was unlikely, difficult, and meteoric. For the past eighteen months, I documented a good deal of it in this space. For a good portion of that time I was shouting into the wind, unable to generate any interest in the opinions section or campus discussion regarding politics, but now, the campus and the country is abuzz with Obama-Mania. How did we get here?

Sept. 19, 2007 - "So far the star of the money race, Obama has gained on the Hill-Billies despite his pledge to not accept cash from registered lobbyists and PACs. Too bad he can't spend it on experience to cover for the fact he's only been in the show for 30-something months now."

What we didn't know then is that Barack would garner plenty of experience in the course of the campaign. At that point, back when I was just starting my "senior" year, Barack was as ready to govern as I was to graduate, and now he just beat me to it.

Jan. 10, 2008 -In many ways, Washington is built to resist change. It is structured to maintain the power of the people in power.

I wrote that to refute Obama's claim that he would clean house in all of D.C., ridding it of special interests and entrenched power. This proved to be true as Obama's key choices: Joe Biden, Rahm Emanuel, Hillary Clinton, James Jones, Larry Summers, are beltway mainstays. But Obama made the right call in picking experienced deputies. Even though some of these old-hands from President Clinton's administration have made mistakes, they understand the process.

Feb. 14, 2008 - "Obama's opponents maintain that while he is well-versed on stage, he is not in the finer subtleties of policymaking. Hillary claims, "You campaign in poetry, but you govern in prose." …Is Obama worthy of his optimistic support, or are young people merely drinking his inspirational Kool-Aid? Should the country's mantra be Barack Obama's "Yes We Can" or Hillary's retort, "No We Can't"?"

On Tuesday Obama said, "We have chosen hope over fear," plotting in a single phrase the trajectory of his administration, while simultaneously comforting those who are feeling pain.

March 13, 2008 - "A Clinton-Obama ticket (with her on top) really would be (Hillary's) dream. However, Obama is right to shoot it down. If he gets the nomination there's no way he'd want Hillary anywhere near his candidacy."

I strongly disagree with Obama's decision to hand Hillary the keys to the State Department. Hillary is driven by ambition; that's not the quality Obama wants in a key deputy. In time, Barack will wish he picked someone with more proven diplomatic chops and loyalty for his number three spot.

May 18, 2008 - "Barack Obama - You cannot blame me for supporting him. I am a well-educated white man, I come from a rich part of a rich state and go to an acutely expensive elite institution of higher learning… I am his base."

Speaking of his base, with his soaring approval rating, who doesn't it include right now except for female moose-hunters?

Sept. 18, 2008 - "Maybe (the campaign banter) will get better in a couple weeks when the debates pick up, but I swear I'm going to lose my mind if I read another word about lipstick."

What can I say; it was a long campaign, even for me.

Nov. 6, 2008 - "So to Mr. Obama, excuse me, Mr. President-elect, I say congratulations on your achievement, but I also say, the challenge is just beginning… Recent history does not portend an easy start for the Obama administration. The last time a Bush turned the White House over to the Democrats, the first couple years were a political disaster."

For those of you still tasting the Kool-Aid from Tuesday do not forget this.

March 6, 2008 - "Is Barack's much-heralded eloquence true? Will he be able to persuade Congress to fix this country's social problems as he did the people of Vermont to vote for him? Will he inspire the public, as John Kennedy did to win the Space Race? Will he be able to present reason in the most dire of circumstances? Will he act capably in our moment of need?"

Obama thinks the country is up to the task of answering his call. From his inaugural address: "There are some who question the scale of our ambitions - who suggest that our system cannot tolerate too many big plans. Their memories are short. For they have forgotten what this country has already done; what free men and women can achieve when imagination is joined to common purpose, and necessity to courage." As a graduating senior, finally moving on from this campus into an uncertain word, I am proud to call this man my president; I hope the inspiration I feel this week sustains me in the future.