Skeptical Sisson Ditch "Don't Ask Don't Tell"

Author: Douglas Sisson

The Department of Defense (DOD) has returned to campus to defend the military's "Don't Ask, Don't Tell" policy. It was during my first year at the College that Middlebury's open invitation to the military was questioned under the Handbook policy regarding employer recruiting on campus. A lot can change in four years, like my finally coming-out of the closet. Unfortunately, closeted American soldiers continue to fight in Iraq and are not able to identify themselves as homosexuals for fear of being ousted.

Until my semester abroad in Buenos Aires, Argentina, I was compliant with the DOD's protocol of "Don't Ask, Don't Tell" regarding my sexual orientation. Uncle Sam can be proud of the way I remained closeted while attending a military boarding school, fooling President Bush during his first inauguration when dressed in military attire. At one point in the parade I actually lowered the American flag I was holding to show respect to my newly elected Commander-in-Chief.

Friends and classmates have repeatedly teased and asked me about my questionable sexual orientation. However, I didn't tell anyone and remained emotionally tormented until coming to Middlebury and finding an accepting community. As a senior, I am looking for a job but not with the DOD - regardless of whatever talents I may provide - and part of me feels similar to the way I did almost seven years ago.

As a high school student, I did not have to adhere to the "Don't Ask, Don't Tell" policy that is required of the rows of armed service men and women standing alongside the inaugural parade root. It saddens me to think that because I chose to be honest with myself, and therefore come out of the closet, I am now ineligible to fight for my country.

On the other hand, a relative of mine dropped out of college and decided to enlist in the navy for reasons beyond my understanding. The Handbook policies of Middlebury College regarding employer recruiting on campus permits military recruiting for reasons of a possible career choice for students. Looking back to arguments surfaced during my sophomore year, the DOD is actually looking for qualified candidates to fulfill positions like aircraft pilots and engineers.

Unfortunately, Middlebury students who wish to practice their guaranteed First Amendment rights and share with the recruiters their sexual orientation are forced to keep silent if they want a job. What kind of message does this send seniors currently adhering to the Senior Program as prepared by the Career Services Office? The military's policy is a borderline hate crime in light of last year's homophobic vandalism.

Why might the Department of Defense not want homosexuals to be out of the closet and in the military? Perhaps, the military is afraid of what might take place in the showers or maybe what might not take place at all. Maybe the hateful and vulgar words used by high-ranking officers in the military will have to be censored, thus causing a degree of discriminatory friction that might otherwise be avoided.

Being openly gay in the military does not sound like a career choice anywhere in my future. Still, there do exist citizens of the United States who are gay with the desire to fight for their country. Why is Middlebury College permitting a discriminatory employer to recruit on campus? Why must students attending an elite liberal arts institution be subject to such bigotry, especially after last year's chain of homophobic hate crimes?

Douglas Sisson '07.5 is from Oak Brook, Ill.