Tuesday, May 14, 2024

Skeptical Sisson The dark side of college politics

Author: Douglas Sisson

Middlebury College is headed in an unfortunate direction. President Liebowitz has shifted Middlebury's priorities in the form of a unique administrative diet still in the process of being entirely digested. This shift in our College's administrative food pyramid has included the controversy surrounding the Rehnquist chair, the acquisition of the Monterey Institute of International Studies, the dissipating Commons System, the recent obsession with college rankings, paying junior counselors, going from two CRAs to just one, an attempt to change our school logo, The Middlebury Initiative fundraising campaign and, most recently, diluting the celebratory zeal of Winter Carnival. As President of the College, Ron Liebowitz is keeping himself and staff busy with a handful of successfully completed initiatives. However, I disagree with the direction in which Middlebury's administration is leading the college. And yet, as a student, what power or influence can I have towards taming this wild beast of administrative protocol?

Students can voice their opinions on either the Community Council or Student Government Association (SGA). The Community Council is comprised of students, faculty and staff whose voices are supposed to contribute to how the College functions administratively. Likewise, the SGA is a collection of elected student representatives from each class and commons whose agenda focuses on student-run initiatives and ideas. Having served on both the Community Council and the SGA, the voices of students are heard by the administration but I'm skeptical as to what extent their ideas and opinions are actually processed. Evidence supports that administration listens to the community at large. After all, President Liebowitz does hold regular office hours. Still, holding office hours - something faculty members are already required to do ≠≠- makes me wonder if President Liebowitz is merely trying to look democratic and compassionate in light of the already strictly adhered-to Master Plan.

Students can only speculate about the internal politics of the College. Last spring, former Dean of Cook Commons Dave Edelson resigned in light of changes in the residential life organization. Over the summer, it was revealed in all-school e-mail that Ann Hanson, former Dean of Student Affairs, determined that the time for her retirement had come. As a student I can only speculate about the peculiar timing of these two resignations, but feel they are somehow connected to the College's leadership.

A college's ability to function as an academic institution and the relative size of its endowment are directly correlated. Thus, I accept that, as an institution, Middlebury College cannot function without raising money for its endowment. However, I reject the idea that as a college community we have no alternative to capitalism's dirty hand. One of the fundamental tenets of a liberal arts education is to look at issues from differing perspectives. What message is our administration sending its students when our College is literally selling its soul to the global market as a way of increasing the number of donors whose contributions will ultimately increase the schools endowment?

The progressive voices of students at Middlebury College have somehow been silenced due to the lack of reciprocation within the administration. However, using an online Facebook petition over the summer, students were able to successfully prevent our College logo from officially becoming a maple leaf reminiscent of an East Coast ski resort. Still, Middlebury's Internet home page is currently void of any logo or school emblem. Again, our administration listened to the student body, but how long must we wait until a new carefully worded email justifying a different school logo is manufactured by the handful of secretaries in the Office of the President?

Evidence exists to support the claim that some rather provocative digestion is taking place within our administration. Outside the belly of the beast, countless members of the Middlebury College community are at odds with what is happening around us. President Liebowitz is a seasoned fundraiser whose leadership is critical to the success of the Middlebury Initiative. However, for the rest of us still habituating at the College, what course of action should be taken if we hope to preserve the values of a liberal arts education and in the process ensure that our voices are actually heard?

I'm not suggesting we stage a coup or anything of that nature. However, it's important we challenge the notion that Middlebury College has no alternative but to join the dark side of liberal arts administrative politics.

Economics are a reality and therefore I accept and embrace that certain changes are necessary if Middlebury College wishes to continue competing with similarly crafted liberal arts institutions. Likewise, not all improvements initiated by our administration are done so with the sole purpose of elevating our schools status in national rankings. Still, the thirst for money is a slippery slope, mandating certain checks and balances within the community at large. As students, we are in a unique position to make suggestions to our College administration. After all, contrary to popular belief, the administration works for the students and not the other way around.

Douglas Sisson '07.5 is an International Studies/Latin America major from Oak Brook, Ill.