Ski Team Finishes Fourth at EISA Championships

Competition is getting increasingly intense each week for the ski teams as the National Championships is just around the corner. Last weekend, Panther skiers went neck-to-neck with University of New Hampshire (UNH) at the EISA Championships at Bates College in Maine.

Unfortunately, they missed the team podium by the narrowest of margins and were one point short in the overall score. Dave Donaldson ’13.5 worked his magic once again and posted his fifth giant slalom win at Sunday River out of the total of six races this season. Hig Roberts ’14, a consistent top-10 skier, proved himself a legitimate title contender by capturing first place in the slalom event. US National Team member Annie Pokorny ’15 skid to a nail-biting finish, snatching runner-up in the 5K classic, while nordic captain Ben Lustgarten ’14 seized a third-place finish in the 10K classic.

Post-season awards were announced on Sunday, and Donaldson was the outright Podiumwear Leader Bib winner and was named a first-team selection. Also in the All-East first team were alpine team anchors Andrew McNealus ’13, Pokorny and Lustgarten. Roberts, together with up-and-comer Mary Sackbauer ’15 were second-team selections. Alpine assistant coach Abby Copland, in her third year at Middlebury, was honored as the EISA Alpine Coach of the Year.

On day one, as per usual, the alpine squads were the first to go in the giant slalom events. Sophomore Sackbauer gave the Panthers a good start and continued to be in fine form by coming in seventh, which added to her four other top-eight finishes in the latest carnivals. Classmates Kara Shaw ’15 and Yina Moe-Lange ’15 placed 18th and 24th, respectively.

On the men’s side, Donaldson successfully fended off foes from University of Vermont (UVM) with his consistent performance and remarkable ability in handling pressure. He led the way in both runs and recaptured the top prize at relative ease with the time of 2:32.93. Roberts and McNealus followed in seventh and 10th, respectively. Senior captain Bryan Shpall ’13 rounded off at 19th place.

On the other hand, at the Black Mountain, the women’s 5K classic was a see-saw race between Pokorny and archrival Dartmouth’s Mary O’Connell. Pokorny was ahead early on but was caught by O’Connell at the end by merely 1.7 seconds. Heather Mooney ’15, and senior captains Keely Levins ’13 and Hilary Rich ’13 crossed the finished line back-to-back at the 15th to 17th positions. In the men’s 10K classic, Lustgarten paced the Panthers and picked up his seventh top-five finish this season. He sat on third place, 7.3 seconds behind the top Catamount skier. Fellow captain and classmate Austin Cobb ’14 came in 18th while sophomore Dylan McGarthwaite ’15 finished at 25th place.

On day two, Hig Roberts gave the Panthers another taste of victory by edging out first run leader, UVM’s Jonathan Nordbotten, to claim his first title in the men’s slalom.

Classmate Liam Mulhern ’14 had a 17th place finish, whereas both Donaldson and McNealus experienced rough runs.

On the women’s side, Sackbauer came in at a solid seventh position. Promising first-year Katelyn Barclay ’16 was 22nd, while sophomores Makenzie Brown ’15 and Shaw claimed 28th and 29th finishes.

Meanwhile, the nordic races were well underway. Pokorny carried the team once again at fourth place and Mooney followed by at 11th place. First-year Kelsey Phinney ’16 showed potential, completing the race at the 16th position. Classmate Issy Pelletier ’16 and Rich garnered 26th and 27th place finishes respectively. A good seventh place concluded Lustgarten’s venture at the regional championships.

Looking ahead, with about 10 more days until all eyes set on the Snow Bowl and the Rikert Nordic Center for the Big show, it is clear that heading into the final event of the season, the alpine and nordic squads are aiming to reclaim a team podium finish and to produce a few individual champions. Nine skiers will be representing Middlebury: they are Donaldson, McNealus, Roberts, Sackbauer, Lustgarten, Cobb, Pokorny, Mooney and Phinney.

“I do have confidence that our team will rise up to the added pressure of NCAA championships, but what is exceptional about our team is our camaraderie,” said Cobb. “We thoroughly enjoy each other’s company and celebrate each other’s success. As such, we race for more than just ourselves, we race for each other and for Middlebury.”

The ski team captains simultaneously pointed out that being the host school could be the deciding factor in lifting the Panther skiers past other teams.

“Our team has the distinct advantage of knowing our hill and having trained on it so many times,” said alpine skier Christine Schozer ’13. “All four competitors have had [at least two] years of experience on Allen and Ross. The terrain at the Snow Bowl is the most challenging on the circuit in terms of adapting and making speed. Once you know the tricks, it becomes a whole lot easier.”

Tremendous belief is reflected in Schozer’s words, as she continued, “[Luckily] for us, our four athletes know what it takes and have proven it. David Donaldson is a previous NCAA Giant Slalom champion, Roberts and McNealus are both two-time NCAA All-Americans. This is Sackbauer’s first time qualifying for NCAAs, but she placed second at the Middlebury Carnival in Giant Slalom and has been dominating this last month race after race. If anyone has built up confidence, it’s Mary, and no one should ever underestimate the power of confidence. There will definitely be shining moments in the coming weeks.”

Keeley Levins ’13 from the nordic team echoed the significance of having a “home advantage”.

“Skiing on our home course brings out the best in this team,” she said. “Annie’s decisive victory at Middlebury Carnival proves how seriously this team takes racing at home. It’s a big advantage, and it’s putting a lot of fire into this team.  They’re excited, they’re ready and everybody should come out and watch – it’s going to be a fun week.”

Beginning next Sunday, teams from all over the country will arrive and register. Then for two days in a row, all skiers will get the opportunity to practice at the venues. Tuesday night will be the Championship Banquet, to be held in Atwater. Wednesday will feature the men and women’s giant slalom.

Thursday highlights the women’s 5K and men’s 10K classics. The spotlight goes back to the alpine teams on Friday with the slalom events. After the women’s 15K freestyle and men’s 20K freestyle the Championships will draw to an end. Most races are either in the morning or around noontime. From the action-packed schedule, it is not hard to imagine that the town and the College will be filled with excitement and enthusiasm a week from now. Undoubtedly, the hard work of those event organizers and the Panther skiers will be translated into rewarding fruits of success.