Softball drops rubber match in extra-inning bout with Ephs

The Middlebury softball team suffered a pair of losses last weekend to NESCAC West division rival Williams College in Williamstown, Mass. The Panthers won the first game of the three-game series before dropping the next two.

The teams played twice on Friday and once more on Sunday, after adjusting the game schedule due to inclement weather. After the series, Middlebury’s record stands at 15-8 overall and 6-3 in the division. Williams improves to 9-17 overall and 4-2 in the NESCAC West.

In the first game, Geena Constantin ’11 pitched for the Panthers, who had not surrendered a run in three games. Constantin allowed three hits and two earned runs over seven innings while striking out 10 batters. At the plate, Constantin drove in three runs, two on a home run in the top of a four-run fourth inning for the Panthers, and catcher Alyson Downing ’12 knocked in two. Middlebury won the game 6-2.

The second game went to the Ephs 7-5 as the Panthers stranded eight runners on base over seven innings. Middlebury failed to score with runners on base in the second half of Friday’s doubleheader. After jumping out to an early 2-0 lead off of a Williams defensive error, the Panthers struggled to execute for the rest of the game.

A timely, bases-loaded single by Amanda Correnti in the third inning plated three runs for the Ephs, who would relinquish the lead in the fifth and regain it for good in the sixth. Middlebury starting pitcher Ali McAnaney ’11 lost for just the third time this season, allowing 11 hits and five runs over five innings. Downing and Megan Margel ’11 each had two hits, but the Panthers could not overcome costly fielding errors and stellar Williams offense.

Williams won the Sunday finale 7-6 in a 10-inning marathon game. Middlebury third baseman Sarah Boylan ’13 drove in three runs for the visitors, who returned to Williamstown on Sunday afternoon after spending Saturday night back in Middlebury.

“Whether it was Nellie Wood’s ’11 diving catch in the outfield or Geena Constantin’s ’11 nine strikeouts, everyone on the team contributed in one way or another,” Boylan said.

“Although we were down by a few runs early in the game, we never gave up and everyone stepped up in big spots to make the plays to keep us going.”

The Panthers took a one-run lead into the bottom of the unprecedented 10th inning, only to have a near victory slip away after Williams generated some offense.

Constantin pitched nine and one-third innings for the Panthers, who once again lost the season series to Williams for the second time in as many years. Despite the disappointing outcome, team co-captain Sophie Dorot ’10 was proud of the Panthers’ effort. “We fought till the very end and showed a lot of heart,” she said.

The Panthers almost had the victory wrapped up in the seventh inning, scoring twice in the top half of the frame. Boylan hammered a two-run home run that seemed to have put Middlebury ahead for good. Williams was able to sneak in a run in the bottom half of the inning, prolonging the rubber match for an additional two and one-third innings. Margel drove in a run in the top of the 10th inning, putting the Panthers up 6-5. A lead-off double in the bottom of the inning by Williams second baseman Allison Hart spurred the hosts’ offense. The Ephs scored twice in the inning to win the game 7-6 and the series 2-1.

“Geena pitched a great game and everyone kept fighting and refused to give up while we were behind,” said co-captain Kristin Maletsky ’10. “The outcome was certainly disappointing, but it just showed us again that we refuse to give up.”

Middlebury returns to action on Wednesday, facing Union College for a two-game series at home. A weekend homestand of four games kicks off on Saturday, as the Panthers will face Castleton State University and Plymouth State University twice each over two days.