Spring is in the air...

With temperatures shooting into the 70s, the re-emergence of flip-flops, skirts and bicycles, and the blossoming of daffodils and trees, there is no denying the beauty of springtime at Middlebury. It is about time to escape the cool fluorescence of the library and venture into the great outdoors! Indulge in the springtime, savor the long hours of daylight and enjoy the few months of warmth that grace Middlebury's campus . . .

Bored? Grab a Board!

Take advantage of the steep College Street hill that you thought was the bane of your existence during the snow-heaped winter months. Find a long board and fly down the hill all the way to Ilsley Library. Whizzing down College Street on a long board combines the pleasure of walking and the liberation of biking. Just be sure to know what you are doing before you brave this feat - it can be dangerous!

Walk the Line

Between balancing loads of studying, extracurricular activities and your off-campus job, take time to simply balance. On your way out of the library, take a break by the trees at the entrance of the library or while you are strolling out of Ross, swing by Pearsons and test your true balancing skills. Maneuvering on the slack lines stretching across campus is a fun way to relieve stress, laugh at your own shaky attempts and, of course, those of your friends!

Come on baby, light my fire

Surprisingly enough, one of our favorite spring activities gets started after the sun goes down. If you live in a house with friends, consider pooling your resources and investing in a fire pit. Simply add furniture, firewood and matches (plus s'mores ingredients, if you are so inclined) and - voila - the perfect spot for late-night cuddling and stargazing. Extra points if you show up at your discussion in the morning still smelling like Eau de Campfire. (Note: be sure to obtain permission from Public Safety before getting your blaze on.)

Dive into Adventure!

Seeking some adventure outside of your mundane schedule of events? Get off campus for an exciting day trip. There is more than a leisurely shopping trip to Burlington or an excursion to Lake Dunmore to entertain your free time. Try cliff-diving down Route 125, passed the Weybury Inn. Pack some gear, sandwiches and water, jump in the car with your friends, and experience the beauty of nature and the thrill of life outside of academia.

I scream, you scream

After sweating out a long and strenuous day of classes, reward yourself with a sweet and icy treat. Sama's Cafe offers refreshing, soft-serve "Cremees," as well as regular ice cream in flavors ranging from Black Raspberry to Muddy Sneaker, at its convenient outdoor window (open until 9p.m. on weekdays). Outside seating is ample and the central location is ideal for people watching, so grab a group of friends and enjoy an indulgent afternoon.

Life's a (Battell) Beach

It's Friday and you are done with class - what better way to celebrate than get out the grill and your flip flops, grab your bathing suit and head down to Battell Beach? Stretched out under the sun with a good book, the company of your friends and some music, it is (almost) hard to remember that the verdant grass was covered with snow for five months. This nearby relaxation spot is like a real trip to the beach - minus the scratchy sand. You might still have to dodge Frisbees and Whiffle balls, though!