Staff Spotlight: David LaRose

From rural Vermont to the coasts of Vietnam, David LaRose, supervisor of the Mail Center, has never lost his genuine sense of humor.

David was born in Bristol, Vt., a town just north of Middlebury, and he attended Bristol High School, graduating in 1968. Eighteen-years-old and just out of high school, David enlisted in the Navy in January 1969.

He spent his first three years stationed in the U.S. In his last year of service, he spent his time on a Navy cruiser, patrolling the Vietnam coast. On the ship, LaRose served as a storekeeper, distributing to his fellow service members everything from missile parts and computer equipment to toilet paper.

Serving a supporting role for the troops on the ground, the guns on their ship were constantly firing at the Vietnam coast. The guns could reach as far as a mile, with each round weighing about 135 lbs and stretching four or five feet in length. At nighttime, LaRose’s ship would venture into harbors so as to shell the coast at a closer range.

Aside from managing the supply shop and carrying around 135 lb missiles, David also handled the phones that connected the ship to the medical staff on the ground. The medics would call LaRose and relate to him medical information about wounded and killed service members who would then be brought to the ship.

“We saw casualties,” LaRose recalled.

After his four-year stint in the Navy, David spent a short time in California. It wasn’t long, however, before he retraced his steps back to Vermont. He began working at the Vermont State Liquor Store in 1973, where he worked for approximately 15 years. The store was located where Shaw’s is today.

David also got married in 1973, had a daughter, Jennifer, in 1974, and was divorced by 1975. He doesn’t look back on it with too much regret.

“I won custody of my daughter,” he said with a proud smile.

Shortly thereafter, David remarried to Carolyn, who also had a daughter of her own named Jennifer. Carolyn works in the Athletic Department at the College.

In 1985, David initially applied to work at Middlebury College as a mail clerk.

“I went to my interview, and the lady told me I was overqualified. No one had ever told me I was overqualified in my life,” he quipped. Not long after, he applied for and was hired as the supervisor at the Mail Center, where he has been ever since.

In his free time, David watches movies and listens to music. He prefers rock and alternative. He likes everything from the Beatles and Springsteen to Kings of Leon, Linkin Park and My Morning Jacket. Aside from flicks and tunes, David is enjoying watching his granddaughter, Alexxis, grow up. Between his work, family, and hobbies, David has little time for politics.

“I should know more than I do,” he admitted. “I would never not vote, though. I always vote. But I’m busy enough taking care of myself to get too into it.”

LaRose is also a huge baseball fan, sticking with the New York Yankees for 50 years and running. Not only that, he played in an over-30 baseball (not softball) league for 15 summers. His team was the Middlebury Coyotes, and it played in a nationally-sanctioned league. LaRose was the president of the league and the manager of his team — and he played first base.

Looking back on his service in the Navy, David said he is very proud that he served. Even so, he wishes that he would have had some time between his discharge and when he had to get back into civilian life.

“I had a really negative outlook when I came back from Vietnam. Even though I wasn’t in direct combat, I couldn’t even watch war movies for six or eight years after I got back.”

He has kept some infrequent contact with three or four fellow service members. A few even surprised him for his 40th birthday.

Asked what students could do to make his life a little easier, LaRose had this to say: “Be patient and label your packages better.” He noted that the Mail Center handles thousands upon thousands of packages and does it with very few mistakes. Despite the daunting task, he said he loves the students and his coworkers.

“We are laughing all day,” he said.

Questioned about whether he had any life advice for students, David said, “Oh geez. Well, definitely keep a sense of humor. I can tell you that. Make sure you laugh at yourself. Stress can eat you up if you let it. And don’t forget to hold on to your best friends.”