Student Drivers A New Treat for MiddRiders

Author: Emily Thaler

When I buckled up and took a ride with Tucker Briggs '06 and Dave Peritz '06 last Tuesday, I found out that they spend their nights servicing the Middlebury College community in more ways than one.

Briggs drives the MiddRides van - also known as the "Drunk Bus" - while Peritz navigates. The two believe that they are "an essential part of campus [because] everything goes more smoothly when MiddRides are running."

Not only do Briggs and Peritz help students reach their destinations quickly and safely, but they also help to liven up otherwise monotonous Tuesday nights. Engaging in playful banter, the sophomore student drivers are friendly and upbeat, and their attitudes are contagious. Once on the bus, you can't help but forget about your work for the evening.

In addition to their pleasant natures, the drivers also bring to the bus a sense of adventure. They often incorporate wild themes into their MiddRide shifts.

For example, on Peritz's birthday a few weeks ago, they had a "cookie and bike night," with cookies sent from mom and yellow bikes picked up en route. The guys offered departing riders a cookie and a yellow bike to "give them warm tummies and send them on their way."

Briggs and Peritz also spice up the Tuesday-night shift by varying their music selection. Last week they featured soothing classical music.

Tuesday was an exceptionally busy night for Briggs and Peritz due to a significant drop in temperature and perhaps also due to daylight savings time. Now that it is colder and getting dark earlier, more students are turning to MiddRides to get around campus.

On a typical three-hour Tuesday shift, Briggs and Peritz average about 15 passengers, but last week, that number jumped to almost 50.

During their three-hour shift last week, they also covered over 40 miles, following a pre-planned route unless called on to make other pick-ups or drop-offs. Weekday "hot spots" along the route include Ridgeline, A-Frames, the Mods and the gym.

Briggs, who has a van license, drives while Peritz sits behind him with the radio and a clipboard. Peritz receives calls from the dispatcher and directs Briggs.

Even the dispatcher is able to join in the Tuesday night MiddRide fun. He remarked once to Peritz, "You guys must really love your job."

Briggs and Peritz got the idea to become student drivers last year after taking a few MiddRides themselves. Three-hour shifts are open Sunday through Thursday night for students with 15-passenger van licenses.

Briggs received his van license this fall after taking a three hour course and passing a van road test. His license has come in handy outside of the MiddRides job, as he was able to drive the sailing team in a college van to a regatta earlier this fall.

Peritz was unable to get his license because he did not meet the requirement of having a regular license for three years. Instead, he navigates. Typically with student drivers, there are two people per shift - one drives and the other mans the walkie-talkie.

According to Briggs and Peritz, driving for MiddRides definitely has its perks. The salary is pretty good and is comparable to that of other on-campus jobs.

Briggs pointed out that "it is a nice break from work [being able to] drive around and listen to tunes." Peritz added, "You also see a lot of people and get a good idea of what they are up to."

The guys agree, though, that it is mostly "just about helping people."

Last Tuesday, they felt like they were able to serve a larger part of the campus than usual. Peritz remarked, "I feel like we really served the Middlebury campus tonight. Okay, well, one in every 50 people, but that feels all right."

So, for a warm and pleasant ride to Bicentennial Hall or simply for a good time, call MiddRides on Tuesdays from 7:30 to 10:30 p.m. and ride with Briggs and Peritz.