Student Protests Prevent Charles Murray From Delivering Lecture

by / charles murray (0) in News /

Student-led protests prevented Dr. Charles Murray, a W.H. Brady Scholar at the American Enterprise Institute (AEI), from delivering a lecture scheduled to take place at 4:30 PM in Wilson Hall at the McCullough Student Center. The College’s AEI Club invited Murray to speak about his 2012 book “Coming Apart,” and to engage in a conversation with Russell J. Leng ’60 Professor of International Politics and Economics Allison Stanger.

Opening remarks were delivered by the College’s Vice President for Communications and Chief Marketing Officer Bill Burger, AEI Executive Board Member Ivan Valladares ’17 and Middlebury President Laurie L. Patton. AEI Co-President Alexander Khan ’17 introduced Murray. After Murray arrived at the podium, students began to protest.

Approximately twenty minutes after the protest began, the College canceled the live event in Wilson Hall and decided to live stream a private conversation between Murray and Stanger. That live event will be made available through the College’s News Room.

UPDATE – March 3, 2017

In the time that that has passed since this article went live, new developments have emerged. As reported by the Addison County Independent, protestors injured Professor Allison Stanger as she escorted Charles Murray off campus following the conclusion of their live streamed conversation.

“During this confrontation outside McCullough, one of the demonstrators pulled Prof. Stanger’s hair and twisted her neck,” the College’s Vice President for Communications and Chief Marketing Officer Bill Burger said.

“The protestors then violently set upon the car, rocking it, pounding on it, jumping on and try to prevent it from leaving campus,” he said. “At one point a large traffic sign was thrown in front of the car. Public Safety officers were able, finally, to clear the way to allow the vehicle to leave campus.

According to Burger, “She was attended to at Porter Hospital later and (on Friday) is wearing a neck brace.”

More information will be provided in next week’s issue of The Campus.

For videos and pictures of the event, please see below:

Video of Opening Remarks and Student Protest: 

View this video on Periscope here: https://www.periscope.tv/w/1djGXvXoLkexZ#

Line of Students Waiting Outside Wilson Hall to Attend Murray’s Lecture: 

This video was shot 15 minutes before the lecture began. Nearly all of these students were unable to attend the lecture after Wilson Hall reached maximum capacity.

After the Lecture Was Canceled:

Look for more detailed coverage of the event in next week’s issue of The Campus. For more information and opinion pieces written about the event, please see below. 

February 22, 2017:

“AEI Invites You to Argue” By AEI Club Members

March 2, 2017:

An Open Letter to the Middlebury Community” By Charles Murray

An Open Letter to President of Middlebury Laurie L. Patton” A Letter By Four Students and Signed By Over 640 Others

“An Open Letter From the Political Science Department” By The College’s Political Science Department

Charles Murray at Middlebury: Unacceptable and Unethical, Say Over 450 Alumni” A Letter By Ten Alumni and Signed By Over 450 Others

A Letter From AEI” By Four AEI Club Members

Letter From Middlebury Faculty” A Letter Signed By 58 Faculty Members To President Patton

Why Murray Should Speak and We Should Go” By Joanna Satterwhite ‘17.5

White Students For Racial Justice Oppose Charles Murray” By Six Students

An Open Letter to the Political Science Department” By Travis Sanderson ’19

Why I’m Declining AEI’s Invitation to Argue” By Nic Valenti ’17

Show Murray What We Stand For” By The Editorial Board