Students race to raise money for GlobeMed’s Uganda initiative

On Saturday, May 1, GlobeMed held a 5K Fun Run on the Middlebury Cross Country Course.

GlobeMed is a network of university students wthat works to improve the health of the impoverished.

Each GlobeMed chapter partners with a grassroots health organization in a developing country to collaborate on public health projects that make a positive impact in that community.

The proceeds of this 5K race will go directly to Africa 2000 Network-Uganda (A2N), an organization in Uganda dedicated to promoting community empowerment for sustainable livelihoods by working with small farmers. The specific A2N project for which GlobeMed is raising funds is an Information and Communication Technology center in the sub-county of Osukuru, Uganda.

It will collect farming data and provide information on health and sustainable agriculture practices.

“As the first 5K held by GlobeMed, it was a great success with over 40 participants,” said Megan O’Keefe ’11.

“The proceeds will go directly to A2N and make a difference in rectifying poverty though sustainable farming.”

This 5K Fun Run attracted runners of every level, from serious cross country racers to everyday joggers just looking to stretch their legs on a Saturday morning while supporting a worthy cause, and a good time was had by all.