Summertime, and the livin' is easy...

Author: [no author name found]

With the semester winding down, and exams looming large, The Campus recognizes that all work and no play makes Joe Midd a dull boy. Put aside your books for an afternoon, and take advantage of the College in bloom. Check off these to-dos on our top 10 guide to must-sees and must-dos before scattering for the summer holidays:

Play a Tune on the Mead Chapel Bells

Whether you prefer "Bleeding Love" or "Love Me Do," your favorite song will never sound better than it does on the bells. Let the whole campus hear your musical fancy between studying for finals. It will take your mind - and perhaps a few hundred other minds - off of exams.

See Breadloaf in Full Bloom

Tell a Ghost Story in the Graveyard

Who needs scary movies when we have our very own cemetery, rife with jeepers and creepers, right here on campus? Grab a few flashlights, blankets and some friends and commune with the spirits of the past. Warning - it is probably best not to undertake this adventure when you are counting on a restful sleep.

Prowl Around the Axinn Center

The seniors got a sneak peek - why shouldn't you? Admire the center's architecture, incorporate it into your study rotation or use it for undisclosed purposes. (If we have learned anything from the Confessional, it's that Middlebury kids love finding new and somewhat public spots to - ahem - rendezvous with their friends.

Plant Flowers at the Organic Garden

Marigolds, sunflowers, summer tomatoes, anyone? When you spot the rustic wooden sign across from the wind turbines on 125, take a right and follow the pebbled trail to the College Organic Garden. Get some dirt under your fingernails, chat with Jay from the Garden and take in the fresh mountain view.

Hike Snake Mountain

We know - it's tried and true. Make an afternoon of it - pack a picnic lunch or just some good trail mix, grab your Nalgene and a few good friends, and make one of Middlebury's favorite climbs. The sunset is beautiful, so be sure to catch a glimpse from new heights!

Stargaze in Bicentennial Hall Observatory

Vermont's extreme lack of light pollution provides great visibility for stargazing on any clear night, but a view from the McCardell Bicentennial Hall Observatory tops any other spot. Give your books a break and leave your trusted study spot - hike a few flights of stairs and get away for a while.

Swing by 51 Main Street

We have to admit we were excited to find out that the idea to put a "Chocolate Bar" in the College-owned space had been scrapped in favor of an alternative with broader appeal. Middlebury's newest eatery is the perfect swanky spot to take parents and other adults for some tasty tapas, especially if they are footing the bill.

Buy Produce at the Farmer's Market

Middlebury's top seasonal source of fresh produce, baked goods and other scrumptious local fare reopens this Saturday. Go shopping with some friends and prepare a home-cooked meal ­- just be sure to pick lots of nutritious greens to replenish all those nutrients you lost during Friday night's rager.

Ask Your Professors Out for Coffee

Try chatting with your profs for more than the designated office hours or quickly before class. Meet at The Grille, Carol's Hungry Mind, Sama's Cafe - it can be more enriching than even the most interesting lecture!