Take Back Your Summer

Upon returning to campus every September, students are confronted time and again with some form of the question, "what did you do this summer?" And, after hearing countless responses, a general theme begins to emerge: students don't lose their intensity over the summer. Why else would the most commonly heard answer involve some form of internship?

Interning has many obvious benefits – an internship provides an opportunity to gauge your interest in a certain field, introduces you to office life, builds useful connections and gives you some insight into the inner workings of certain jobs or businesses.

Though internships can certainly be valuable, they shouldn't be seen as an absolute necessity in order to have a worthwhile summer experience. We're not suggesting you do nothing with your summers – sitting by the pool every day would definitely get old – but we are saying that there is a world of opportunities outside of the realm of internships, whether it be through holding a paid summer job or going on a real-world adventure.

All too often, students can be heard explaining that they "just waitressed" or "just worked in a store" or "just lifeguarded" during the summer. These students should not sell themselves short. These jobs provide certain life experiences that cannot always be gained by having a "name-brand" internship. A waiter or cashier must learn how to deal with disgruntled customers, while lifeguarding, for example, necessitates the ability to deal with the unexpected. In addition, a paying job promotes increased financial responsibility and independence. The list of benefits goes on.

It's important to know what it's like to be at the bottom of the heap. At some point in our lives, we will be confronted with grunt work or find ourselves in a position in which we aren't continuously praised for our intelligence or our ability to write a persuasive analytical essay. For those of us who have never born the brunt of an irate customer's anger or had the typical intern task of making daily Starbucks and mailroom runs, the almost inevitable experience of completing menial tasks is humbling and educational in reminding us to work toward our greater goals.

Educational real-world experiences, however, are not solely bound up in work. Summer break is a luxury most of us won't be able to enjoy after college and we should seize the chance now to do whatever we find meaningful – which may be interning, working or studying, but might also consist of rafting, cooking or spending time with family. We are given a golden opportunity to break from traditional academic life and these experiences can only serve to revitalize and rejuvenate our enthusiasm for the future.

Yet while our optimisim is all well and good, unpaid work and unfinanced exploration are costly endeavors. It is encouraging, therefore, to learn that the College has made strides in the past year to expand these opportunities for students.  Since last summer, the Center for Education in Action, thanks to the "MiddAction Fund" campaign, increased internship funding by 180 percent, giving out a total of $350,000. This funding ensures that unpaid internships are no longer only available to the privileged few who are not limited by financial needs.

Students should reflect on summer experiences with an open mind. Without the pressures and the price tag, it's up to you to decide what's left.