Tea is coffee's gay cousin

So, I don’t really know the journalistic ethics behind using the publication that you work for as a platform for self-promotion, and even though ignorance is not a defense that will hold up in court, I’m going to do it anyway.

Guys, there’s this really cool thing happening on Friday nights. It’s called Ally Tea and it’s a social hour with (you guess it) tea and also (maybe you didn’t guess this one) cookies! It’s in the Spanish House at 8:30. Let me explain to you all of the reasons that this is awesome.

1) The Spanish House is right behind Proctor. Finish your relaxed, “beginning of the weekend and I’m no longer in a hurry to do anything so I am going to sit here as long as I want” dinner and saunter over. We welcome early guests.

2) The “we” in this situation is myself, sophomore Bronwyn Oatley, and junior Gemma Collins. If you don’t know us, you should.

3) We are all familiar with that awkward, after dinner, before party period on Friday nights. Do you do work? Do you try to squeeze in some TV? A nap? No, you get your butt down to Ally Tea, hang out with friends, and talk about really interesting things.

4) The really interesting things in question are: gender, sexuality, issues concerning gender and sexuality, identifying as an Ally, what that means, why Middlebury is awesome, how it could be more awesome, how to hit on that hot girl in your Orgo class, popular culture (most prevalently, Lady Gaga), politics, and thousands of other scintillating topics.

Pretty much #4 is the most important bullet point in this scenario, and begins to get at the whole point of Ally Tea. Ally Tea is meant to fill that niche on campus. You know the one I’m talking about. The niche for all students who are straight, gay, undecided, whatever, but totally interested in showing the gay community some love in a non-committal, unintimidating setting. Whether you have an LGBTQ friend or family member, were involved in your high school’s Gay Straight Alliance, want to meet new people with similar interests, or just love glitter, you should totally come. It’s a pressure-free, safe space, and we held one before break that was a wild success. So gather your posse and your favorite L Word episodes, bring a coffee mug and a smile, and attend your first Ally Tea. Consider it added to “The Anther’s” official list of clubs to immediately join.