The Muffin Revolution

Over the past few years there has been an overwhelming surge in the popularity of the cupcake, a mini bite of deliciousness that combines the pleasures of cake, frosting, and filling into a seemingly innocent and adorable package. Perhaps it began with the depiction of Carrie Bradshaw savoring a cupcake on “Sex and the City”, or with the opening of the first cupcake only bakeshop – “Sprinkles” in Los Angeles – a few years back. Either way, it cannot be denied that recently, we’ve seen a tremendous surge in the availability and varieties of the mini morsel. Today almost every major town in the U.S. features a gourmet cupcake bakeshop, often with intricate flavors that range from sweet (think raspberry cake with champagne butter cream frosting) to savory (dark chocolate cake with cayenne pepper and chili frosting) and push the boundaries where no cake has ever gone before. And yes, this occurrence is undeniably both fantastic and monumental, and one that every cake lover and foodie around the world has appreciated and savored.

But, as we rejoice in our sugary butter cream induced coma, we mustn’t forget about the other foods that come from a bakery and live in a paper wrapper. I am indeed guilty of a baked goods addiction and a vast lover of the gourmet cupcake, but its presence has jaded food lovers and made us forget about its simple yet delicious cousin – the muffin. And this is a terrible thing indeed.

The muffin is a little creation of brilliance that has no reason to be ignored, but seems to be currently living under the shadow of its dressed up neighbor. Where are the gourmet muffin shops? Why is there not a “Muffin Wars” show on Food Network? Why have we not yet raised the muffin to the level of romanticism that it deserves? For who can resist the smell of fresh blueberry muffins wafting through the kitchen, the tender escape of steam and aroma as one cuts though the middle, the melting of butter onto the halves, and the glorious first bite of sweet dough and plump berries? Muffins have tantalized taste buds for centuries and provided the perfect venue for many fresh and flavorsome fillings. Raspberry, banana, morning glory, chocolate chip, lemon poppy seed– the muffin comes in every variety imaginable and provides a delicious mini snack or accompaniment to a meal or coffee.

From my extensive research (consisting of visiting bakeries and eating as many baked goods as possible), the decline in muffin popularity is a relatively new phenomenon. And perhaps this can be attributed to America’s growing infatuation with foods that claim to be healthy but are still packed with sugar and fat – the cupcake being the prime example. Many people enjoy a cupcake because it is delicious and mini, and thus consumers believe it is a healthy alternative to other larger baked goods. In reality the average cupcake packs a whopping 650 calories and the main ingredients are sugar and butter. And, while muffins cannot be considered the pinnacle of health (the average muffin tallies in at 300 calories), they are an improved alternative to the sugary and deceptive cupcake.

So, as we salivate over the delightful treats that modern baking can whip up, let us not ignore the innocent muffin. Next time you enter a bakeshop, a coffee house, or even Proctor dining hall, don’t forget to consider a muffin as an option. We should not discriminate simply because it does not have a seductive coat of glaze and a sugary center. It is time these treats saw their glory days and weren’t hidden under the shadow of the cupcake.

Best Blueberry Muffins

Servings: 18

Ingredients:
1/2 cup butter or 1/2 cup margarine, at room temp
1 cup granulated sugar
2 large eggs
1 teaspoon vanilla
2 teaspoons baking powder
1/4 teaspoon salt
2 1/2 cups fresh blueberries or 2 1/2 cups frozen blueberries
2 cups all-purpose flour
1/2 cup milk

For Topping:
1 tablespoon sugar
1/4 teaspoon nutmeg

1. Heat oven to 375°.
2. Grease 18 regular-size muffin cups (or 12 large size muffins) or place paper muffin cups into tin
3. In bowl, beat butter until creamy. Add sugar and beat until pale and fluffy.
4. Add eggs one at a time, beating after each.
5. Beat in vanilla, baking powder and salt.
6. With spoon, fold in half of flour then half of milk into batter; repeat.
7. Fold in blueberries.
8. Spoon into muffin cups and sprinkle sugar and nutmeg onto each muffin.
9. Bake 20 to 30 minutes, until golden brown and springy to touch.