Tuesday, May 7, 2024

The results are in SGA Survey in Context

Author: ELI BERMAN '07.5 & FRANCIE KAMMERAAD '08.5

Earlier this month, the SGA and Student Educational Affairs Committee (SEAC) administered a 15-question survey to the student body to ascertain students' perceptions of grading trends and policies at Middlebury. There was no lack of interest: over one third of the student body (870 students to be exact) completed the survey.

Firstly, although the majority of students acknowledge that grade inflation exists within particular courses or departments at Middlebury, only 8.7 percent of students suspect that overall grade inflation at Middlebury is the greatest problem confronting them. Instead, the majority of students, about 70 percent, feel that the disparity in grading between academic departments and courses is of greater concern. Many students acknowledge the differences between the kinds of work assigned as well as the varying methods of grading among different disciplines. However, those students in academic departments with lower GPAs are nonetheless disappointed and frustrated. Science majors especially expressed anger at receiving on average lower grades despite feeling that they do much more work while also spending more time in scheduled classes due to labs. There was likewise concern that disparity in grading occurred within departments, and students were especially rankled by disparity of grades between different sections of the same course taught by different professors. Many cited the popular introductory economics classes as examples of how one's grade can greatly depend on who teaches the course. Thus students are emphatically not bothered or worried by overall grade inflation, but rather are concerned more with GPA disparity between departments and courses.

Although the survey did not intend to investigate student workload, the essays indicated that the workload at Middlebury is of paramount student concern, far more so than grade inflation. Students believe that there is an excessive amount of work assigned at Middlebury and that it is not only detrimental to their academic growth but also hinders their commitment to and involvement in the Middlebury community. The time needed to complete work causes students to participate in fewer social and extracurricular activities; but interestingly, despite this shared sentiment, 54.1 percent of students said that if their grades were lowered, they would work harder to raise them. Many students cited the increase in unhealthy lifestyle choices, such as lack of sleep and an increasing use of Ritalin and Adderall as evidence that students will do whatever it takes to work harder and achieve higher grades. There is an unequivocal connection between workload and the grades students feel they deserve, and as summarized by Andi Lloyd of the Ad Hoc Faculty Committee on Grading (AHFCG), "students feel that they are working so hard on classes, that they are sacrificing other aspects of their lives, and yet this hard work does not always translate into the grades they feel they deserved given their input and effort." Thus the seemingly ubiquitous statement espoused by students was that if any policy is enacted to combat grade inflation, it should not incorporate a higher workload.

Middlebury students value high grades, yet they also strongly value the academic persona at Middlebury, where high-caliber, high-achieving students are able to work together and perceive classmates as friends rather than competitors. Thus, many students expressed concern that a systematic change in grading aimed at combating grade inflation could foster a more cut-throat, less accepting environment, an environment that many find undesirable. Few acquiesced to the idea of change, feeling that it should simply not be a tenable option. As indicated by the survey, 56.7 percent of students stated that Middlebury should discuss the issue but not make radical changes, followed by 13.9 percent of students who felt that Middlebury should do absolutely nothing, and 13.7 percent of students who felt that Middlebury should enact grading policies to combat the inflation. The rest were uncertain of how best to react. Thus many students felt that discussion and communication between students, faculty, and the administration is the best place to start.

The AHFCG has received the results of the survey and met with the SEAC to discuss them, and as suggested, more discussions over grades will occur. The AHFCG is working on a report outlining possible policy responses. The SGA will continue communicating with the faculty, the Educational Affairs Committee and the AHFCG in hopes of providing an accurate and representative student viewpoint.