The Unpopular Opinion

I have an issue with you, Middlebury College. Enough is enough; I am calling you out. Your general intolerance and lack of discussion has reached a point I can no longer abide. It’s high time somebody looked out for the little guy, the underdog, the minority. The philosophy you constantly dismiss as garbage has some merit, yet you disregard it as having none! You all know what I am talking about: conservatism, naturally.

Excuse my hyperbolic introduction; I thought the irony worth overstating. No doubt many of you find the idea of a helpless conservative presence hilarious. Yet, I do have some issues with Middlebury’s treatment of conservatives. Why is it that everyone gets a fair and equal opinion and gets to state their views in an atmosphere of liberality … except conservatives?

Now as ridiculous as the whole thing sounds, let us think back to this most recent election and our behavior surrounding it. Many of you were thrilled about the Obama win, as you ought to be. Let’s talk about our collective behavior for just a minute and how immensely polarized we became. Let me give you some hints so you know what I’m talking about

A Facebook status telling people that “you should get out there and vote! No matter the candidate! As long as its Obama!” does not make you politically superior or better educated.

If a political election has you so worked up that you are weeping as the electoral results from the South come in, it does not demonstrate a dedication to a political candidate – it demonstrates your lack of knowledge of the electoral system in America.

Finally, if you ever sincerely believe a presidential candidate an idiot, fool or incompetent, it is truly remarkable our country is still standing, isn’t it?

Now I don’t mean to get ranty, Middlebury, but come on. We are a liberal arts school! We should pride ourselves on unabashed discourse, argument and discussion without aims towards unanimity. Nobody should have to walk through a minefield to make a point, just because they identify as politically conservative.

I am not trying to make an argument in favor of conservatism; I am trying to advocate argument. Argument should be satisfying. Having to defend your opinion from criticism should make it stronger, or if it does not hold up you should consider your opponents point of view more seriously. Shouldn’t we be frightened of unanimous consent?  If everyone on campus agreed politically it would go against everything we stand for as school, as students or as any advocates of democracy.

So I encourage, implore and beseech you. Argue often and argue well. It should make you smarter. Do not hold onto ideals because your party does or does not have them and please-oh-please do not discount people for identifying with a party that is not yours.

I did not inherit my political affiliation. I thought a certain way on a certain set of issues so the world gave me an identity and said “that is what you are.” I did not think too much of it until coming here

A lot of my personal convictions changed within a year here. I got to enjoy the societal model in our campus that strives for what should be instead of what is in the world. I saw new possibilities, took new stances. I went from being fairly blasé on the issue of gay marriage to being unable to vote for any candidate who opposed it. Yet, I still retained my fondness for small government. I will always value economic mobility over income inequality. That alone seems to be enough to be radically conservative at Middlebury.

It also seems to be enough to offend people at times. I try not to wear it on my sleeve but I am a political person. When it comes out that I identify as conservative in conversation I need to be rescued by a close friend who assures the hushed crowd that I am still worth speaking with.
There are certain issues that I cannot personally bring myself to deem worthy of argument. Gay rights is the most obvious in that I cannot bring myself to argue against it. Meanwhile, I do not think issues of gun control, taxation and the size of American government are so clear-cut.
I challenge you to argue and defend your arguments. When all is said and done it should be in our blood as liberal arts students. Take the unconventional stance and defend it for all its worth and if you find you fail in that, modify your view.