Three students to sleep in Library for a week

Author: Astri von Arbin Ahlander

The New Library is about to take on a whole new meaning, at least for Tommy Heitkamp '06.5, John Kruchoski '06.5 and Nathaan Demers '08.5. For these three gentlemen, the spaceship on the hill is about to become home. As part of what Heitkamp and Kruchoski have appropriately named "The Library Challenge," the three contenders are taking a pledge most Middlebury students only have nightmares about: they are going to live in the library. For real.

On Sunday, Dec. 10, the three students will move in with over-night bags, sleeping bags, sleeping pads, pillows and a large dose of mental preparation for what is likely to become every bit the challenge the name implies. Their new address will be the Kolligian thesis carrel suite, a.k.a. Challenge Headquarters. The project itself is the brainchild of the Kolligian suite. It was there that Heitkamp and Kruchoski, both thesis-writing seniors, first shook hands on the deal after long discussions with fellow carrel-mates on the best possible approaches to maximize finals week productivity.

"The goal is to be as productive as possible…but I'm kind of worried it might decrease productivity," Kruchoski said. For that reason Heitkamp, whose thesis is due at the end of the semester, has given himself three "safe days." "If all goes to hell, then at least I'll have three days after the end of the challenge before my thesis is due." Seems pretty risky.

Kruchoski shrugged, "It's a new way to experience finals week."

"Come on," Heitkamp winked, "haven't you always wanted to do it?"

While living in the library may seem like every Middkid's nightmare, there is an element of intrigue. After all, finals week is a time when normal routines are completely turned upside down. Students are encouraged to develop unhealthy habits, like eating fried food in the middle of the night at Midnight Breakfast and pulling all-nighters in a library that's open 24/7. A couple of days into the week, the library looks more like a home for the mentally unstable than the flagship facility of an elite academic institution: food-stained sweatsuits, greasy hair (in the worst cases even hair loss), blood-shot eyes, the "shakes," crying, wailing, screaming and general grunting are all in order. So, why not take it all the way? Fight fire with fire. Move into the mad house.

And it's for a good cause, too. The Library Challenge is doubling as a fundraiser for Page One Literacy, a local organization that promotes literacy in Addison County. Donations are welcomed.

The suite, also labeled 332 UM, is located on the top floor mezzanine on the left side (with your back to the circulation desk) at the very back. The boys nodded enthusiastically at the mention of visiting hours. "We'd love visitors! Meal-time is an appropriate time. As long as you bring food," Hetikamp said. Oh, right. Sustenance.

"We'll call people when we're hungry and just cross our fingers," Kruchoski answered. "I hope people will bring us food." The selection at the library café can get old pretty fast.

The Challenge has one basic rule - contenders must stay inside the library at all times. The only acceptable outside-area is the library patio on the second floor. One may only leave the library for medical/family emergencies and scheduled exams.

"The school boasts of its new multi-million dollar library with endless resources. Let's test those resources. During the course of the week, we are going to use everything the library has to offer," Heitkamp declared. One can rent movies, check out computers, use software and even dine in the cafe.

"People should see it as a challenge. Let's see other carrel suites take us on!" Kruchoski said. But what about underclassmen and seniors without carrels of their own - where will they sleep away the fluorescent library nights? Does the Kolligian Suite risk an invasion?

"Hell no!" Heitkamp exclaimed. "Find your own nook!"

When you begin your search for the perfect Challenge camp-out spot, there are some things you may want to keep in mind. First of all, stay away from the aisles. Heitkamp and Kruchoski have grand plans for using these open spaces as obstacle courses in their every-day exercise routines, which will also include bench presses with books, pull-ups off the mezzanine landings and interval training in the stairways. You want to have good proximity to one of the single-person restrooms, as this is where you will be keeping up your personal hygiene (when asked about the shower issue, Heitkamp answered coolly, "rags and sinks" while Kruchoski lowered his eyes with a simple, "No comment.")

When the Challenge was still in the early stags of conception, all the residents of the Kolligian Carrel Suite tested out the sleeping options available and concluded that four can sleep comfortably underneath two adjoining carrels. The observation was also made that, unless you move around unusually violently in your sleep and thus activate the motion sensors, the suite lights will go off after a certain period of time.

But be prepared to get up early, there are no blinds on those windows. If you do embrace the Challenge, make sure you maintain respect for the students studying around you. No excessive noise, please. As Heitkamp said, "I think this will have a minimum impact on the studying environment." But the Challenge doesn't seem quite so risk-free for the rest of us. When asked what he plans to do during the week, Kruchoski answered, "The library is going to be our new home. So anything that is done at home is going to be done in the library."

In a final moment of what could be interpreted as regret, Kruchoski added with a grimace, "This is going to be hell." But Heitkamp sternly countered, "If you don't last, it's a disgrace. Pulling out is not an option."