Volleyball Splits Weekend Series with NESCAC Opponents

The Middlebury volleyball team began conference play last weekend with a split result. The Panthers shut out Wesleyan for their fifth consecutive win on Saturday, Sept. 14 before falling to Connecticut College the next day. The Panthers played two tight games; six of the team's eight sets were determined by two points. In the NESCAC opener at Wesleyan, Middlebury won three straight sets by two points, clipping the Cardinals 27-25, 25-23, 29-27.

"We've been talking all season about being aggressive, even in those crucial points, and we really carried that out against Wesleyan," said tri-captain Madeline Firestone '13. "Even when we were down in the match there was never any hesitation. During those points we focused on winning the game ourselves, rather than waiting for [them] to make a mistake."

After blowing a 23-16 lead, the Panthers found themselves on the wrong end of set point, trailing 25-24 following a 7-1 Wesleyan run. Middlebury rallied back, winning each of the next three points to take the first set 27-25. The visitors finished the set in emphatic form, taking the lead with a service ace from senior Julia Gibbs '13 and ending the set with a kill from outside hitter Meg Anderson '14.

In the second set Middlebury yet again built a seven-point lead only to see it dwindle as the Cardinals scratched and clawed their way back into the set, cutting the Panthers lead to one at 24-23. This time it was Firestone '13 who halted the rally, closing out the set with a kill of her own.

The Cardinals showed signs of forcing a fourth set, jumping out to a 17-11 lead – their largest of the game – in the third set. The Panthers responded with a 12-6 run, tying the game at 23 and, after the Cardinals fought off two game points, Middlebury finally sealed it on a kill from Amy Hart '14.

"[The win] was a total team effort," Firestone said, "but [the] performances by Meg Anderson and Amy Hart really made a difference."
The two juniors led the team with 10 kills apiece, leading the Panthers to victory and a 5-1 season record.

The Panthers were not so fortunate in the second game of the weekend, falling in five sets to Conn. College. Just three points separated the teams over five back-and-forth sets, with Middlebury finally falling 15-13 in the fifth set.

The Panthers were led by Hart and Megan Jarchow '14, who combined for 35 total kills. Gibbs, meanwhile, racked up 54 assists and 19 digs from her setter position and tri-captain libero, Caitlin Barrett '13 recorded 32 digs.

Middlebury won the opening set 29-27, extending the team's streak of sets won by two points to four and giving the Panthers the early advantage in the game. The Camels won each of the next two sets, 25-23 and 25-18, respectively, before Middlebury drew level with a 25-19 fourth set victory, forcing a decisive fifth set.

Here, the Panthers fell just short of their sixth straight victory and a 2-0 start in conference play.

"As in any fifth set of a NESCAC game, the atmosphere was definitely intense," Firestone said. "However, we didn't lose our cool and went point for point with Conn. It was an incredibly competitive match and in the end it just came down to the little things."

Firestone and company travel to New London, Conn. this Saturday and Sunday, Sept. 21-22, for the Coast Guard Invitational, a brief pause in the NESCAC schedule before they resume conference competition again next week with home games against Williams, Colby and Bates.

"We know we can win close games," said the senior mid-hitter from Solvang, Calif., "but we also know this year especially, every conference game is going to be incredibly competitive."