Wanted High school geniuses for four-year, $200K stay in rural Vermont

Author: Aylie Baker

When Aron Holewinski received a letter two weeks ago inviting him to visit Middlebury College in the United States on an all-expenses paid trip, he was incredulous. "My parents couldn't believe it," said Holewinski. "I had to call up and check with the College."

Sure enough, the letter was serious and after a trans-Atlantic flight from Amsterdam, Holewinski made it to Middlebury this past Thursday to join a motley crew of wide-eyed "prospies" at a special weekend vist held for this year's most qualified applicants.

A member of the model United Nations and Student Council at his own high school in the Netherlands, Holewenski was intrigued by the club offerings here at Middlebury, particularly those involving the outdoors.

"The concept of liberal arts colleges is not well known in the Netherlands," says Holewinski. With students commuting from home, many of the universities in his country are strictly academic, without a campus or vibrant student life. Indeed, kicking back in the Juice Bar this past Thursday night, Holewinski was a far cry from his home in Amsterdam. When his guidance counselor suggested applying to liberal arts colleges in the United States, "it was hard to miss Middlebury," Holewinski said, laughing.

Attending Professor of Geography Tamar Mayer's Geopolitics of the Middle East class as well as a philosophy class, Holewinski was impressed by the rapport that the professors maintained with their students. Professors were "consistent in making sure the class was engaged," he remarked. "The teachers knew the names of students in their class."

Traveling a much shorter distance was Zach Shuetz who attends Manchester High School West in Manchester, N.H. In his school, which is about the same size as Middlebury, he sings and plays percussion in addition to being a school thespian.

While Middlebury had no trans-Atlantic flight to cover, the College did reimburse Schuetz for his drive up and even put his mother up in a hotel. "That's the last time I'll get paid for going to college," said Schuetz.

Schuetz also had a chance to rub elbows. At a catered dinner in McCardell Bicentennial Hall, he spoke with Associate Professor of Music Peter Hamlin about the Music department as well as the music scene here at the College.

When asked if he was interested in any of the student organizations offered at Middlebury, Schuetz replied "Yeah, all of them."

"I figured that they would never do that again," he said, "so I might as well take advantage of it," says Sean Dennison of Helena, Mont. about his decision to take the free trip. He attends Helena High School, with just fewer than 2,000 students, where he is an active debater and a member of the orchestra.

Hailing from Long Island, New York, Carly Lynch attends Lynbrook High School, comprised of just over 1,000 students. She runs cross-country and track and is an active member of her high school's student government.

What attracted these students to Middlebury?

An admiration for Middlebury's language program was a common thread throughout the interviews. Schuetz decided to apply to Middlebury on a recommendation from his Spanish teacher, he explained. Lynch had a similar experience, having first heard about Middlebury through its summer language programs. As for Dennison? While at Middlebury, he attended not one, but three language courses.

"I loved all of them," he explained, "as I've never had a language class taught in the target language before."

And what of being some of the top qualified applicants?

Of the students interviewed, only Dennison had heard about the program. "I knew before I came because I read an article about the letters before I received one," he explained, "and thought, 'Yeah, that's not me.'" As it would turn out, "I got the letter in March the day after I had complained about not knowing [about his acceptance] until April," he said, "so that was cool."

The others only realized they were in the upper echelon of admitted students when they arrived on campus. "I think we're called the 'Likelies,'" said Lynch, brows knitted. "That's very groovy," said a surprised Shuetz. "This is the first time I've heard."

While these prospective students will all be narrowing down their lists of top schools this month choosing from Middlebury among schools such as University of Chicago, Macalester and Yale, it appears as though the College's lavish invitations have been well worth it.

"I've pretty much settled on Midd after the visit," said Dennison. Schuetz concurred, saying he was almost positive he'd be joining the ranks in the fall. As for Lynch, the decision was made: "I definitely hope to be here in September!" she wrote in a follow-up email.