What Midd-kids are

Author: Nura Suleiman

And I'm back. From Cairo, that is, thrust back into the bubble of Middlebury. It seems only logical to begin getting re-assimilated at the heart of Midd - the gym. I seem to have developed an extreme case of amnesia while in Cairo and have forgotten not only the frigid temperatures that permeate Middlebury, but also the sheer determination of the average Midd-kid. No matter what time of the day, the gym seems to be packed with kids. There's always that girl on the treadmill that seems like she's been running for hours. And upon further sly investigation, i.e. a stolen glance at her minutes, it becomes clear that she has, in fact, been running for an hour! My treadmill reads approximately four minutes and 22 seconds, and honestly, I've been on there for about four minutes too long. I'm bored out of my mind, my feet hurtand I'm starting to sweat like a squirrel wrapped in cellophane. What on earth could she be doing? By Jove, I've got it! She's listening to music. But what kind of music could motivate her to run for such a long time at such an ungodly speed? I use my investigative skills further and decipher that her iPod reads "Mmmbop." Hmm. Hanson. Classic. Taylor's long golden locks would motivate me, too. I gaze around the room and realize (my future as a sleuth has at this time become quite apparent) that everyone seems to be running with the same fervor of this running girl. So I begin my study with a simple question - what are Midd-kids listening to?

A certain football player, who made me swear to his anonymity, was finally cajoled into telling me that it was Britney that really made his heart pump. He was not alone in this sentiment as nearly 11 other gym goers were found listening to the likes of Brit. Next on the list was Ace of Base, with a resounding six listeners, where again we found their telling me contingent upon their anonymity. Strangely, country was next in line where interestingly enough the majority of listeners chose the elliptical as their mode of transportation. The following Middlebury Work Out Mix could not have been completed without the help of the many souls who contribute to the sheer heat that radiates in the room, the slightly pungent odor and the overall low-self esteem on this campus. Enjoy!