Women’s hockey falls in Frozen Four, wins consolation

The women’s hockey team ended their season Saturday in dominant fashion, skating past Gustavus Adolphus 5-0 in the third place game of the NCAA tournament. The impressive victory came after the Panthers fell 5-2 in the Frozen Four to top-seeded Rochester Institute of Technology. With a national championship in their sights, the Panthers couldn’t complete their title run but finished the tournament with one of their most impressive performances of the season.
“Although we did not make it to the championship game, I do believe the weekend was a success,” said goaltender Lexi Bloom ’11. “Once again we showed our true character by coming out on Saturday and taking it to the Gusties. We tend to joke about playing a game after a bad loss because we take all our anger and frustration out on the next team.”
The win over Gustavus Adolphus also sent a talented core of seniors off with a win in their final game. Bloom, who was named an All-American on Thursday, recorded her nation-leading 12th shutout of the year in the win while Anna McNally ’11 recorded two third period goals in the rout to give her 10 total goals on the season. Senior forward Julia Ireland ’11 also recorded her ninth assist of the season to go along with 12 goals,
The Panthers got out to an early lead when Lauren Greer ’13 scored her second goal of the weekend on the Panthers power play less than halfway through the first period.
The Panthers converted two of their six power plays against Gustavus, a stark improvement over their Frozen Four game against Rochester in which the Panthers were just one of eight on the power play while conceding two goals in three penalty situations.
The Golden Gusties meanwhile failed to score on any of their five power play opportunities, as they couldn’t beat Bloom who made all 30 saves in her final game as a Panther.
Sara Ugalde ’14 doubled the Panthers lead to 2-0 14:52 into the second period after Gustavus Adolphus defender Lindsey Hjelm was penalized for checking in a goal-scoring situation, giving the Panthers a penalty-shot, which the first-year player put in the net for her 13th goal of the season.
Maggie Melberg ’12 made it a 3-0 game less than two minutes later when she scored her seventh goal of the season. Maggie Woodward ’13 and Madeline Joyce ’14 assisted the goal.
Already leading 3-0 going into the final period, McNally put the finishing touches on the game with two evenly spaced goals in the third period, one at the 9:21 mark and her second 18:42 into the period.
For the senior co-captain from St. Paul, Minnesota, the two-goal performance was an appropriate end to a great career at Middlebury, but not the ultimate goal.
“It was definitely bittersweet to have ended my career in the third place game,” she said. “It was a hard pill to swallow knowing that we weren’t playing for a national title, but I am grateful to have been able to put on the jersey one more time with my best friends.”
The Panthers had a chance to knock off Rochester, who would lose to Norwich in the NCAA finals, but couldn’t capitalize on key chances, the most notable of which were their eight power plays.
After a scoreless first period, during which the Panthers failed to score in three advantage situations, RIT jumped out to a quick 3-0 advantage over a stretch of 8:12 in the second period.
The Panthers fought back however, as Maggie Melberg grabbed the first goal for the Panthers, 15:18 into the second period. The goal was a turning point of sorts for the Panthers who closed the Rochester lead to 3-2 11:32 into the third period when Greer beat the Tigers goaltender  Chamberlain,
“After we scored the first goal to make it 3-1, I knew that we were right back in it,” said line-mate McNally. “We were getting a lot of chances and their freshman goaltender had one heck of a night.”
Chamberlain made 34 saves in the game and proved to be the difference for the Tigers. The first-year player finished with the best winning percentage of any goaltender in division three hockey and second in goals allowed per game, trailing only Bloom.
The Tigers took advantage of a tripping penalty on McNally 12:30 into the third period by scoring on the power play just 12 seconds later.
It was just the Panthers third penalty of the game, but RIT, whose special teams are among the best in the country, took advantage of the limited opportunities. The Tigers led the nation in penalty kill efficiency, while converting over 26 percent of their own advantage situations.
The Tigers fifth and final goal was an empty net goal that Kolbee McCrea put between the posts with 1:15 remaining in the game, sealing the Panthers fate. Head coach Bill Mandigo put things in perspective after the Panthers loss.
“I think when you go to the Final Four you only have one thing on your mind and that is winning the 7:00 game on Saturday night,” he said. “I thought we competed hard, never quit and left Rochester with our heads held high. But, we did not play in the game we wanted to on Saturday.”
The Panthers rebounded from the loss in the semifinals to play one of their most complete games on Saturday.
“I think the players had a sense of purpose to make sure the seniors went out winners and to show all that when you put the jersey with an ‘M’ on, it matters,” Mandigo said.
McNally echoed her coach’s comments. “This year has been incredible and I truly feel so lucky to have had the privilege of playing with such a special group of girls,” she said. “I will never forget this team and I wish them the absolute best in the seasons to come. I know that they are capable of achieving anything if they stay together, stay focused, and as we say, ‘Hold the rope.’”