Women’s lacrosse taken out in Bantams’ undefeated tear

The Middlebury Panthers faced a tough 11-10 loss against the Trinity Bantams this past Saturday on Kohn Field. The third-ranked Bantams improve to an undefeated 11-0 season and 7-0 in the NESCAC league. The eighth-ranked Panthers now stand at 7-4 overall and 4-3 in NESCAC play. Lucy Jackson ’12 recognizes the highly competitive nature of the NESCAC league.
“Every year there is more and more parity in our league, and as every team’s level of play continues to rise, every NESCAC match up is really about who shows up on game day, for all 60 minutes, and does the little things right.”
It was certainly a battle between the two teams as there were seven lead changes throughout the contest. Jackson commented, “a couple more possessions and it would have been a different game.” The Panthers were trailing 3-2, but retaliated with three straight goals in order to take a 5-3 lead. The Bantams fired back with two more goals before Margaret Souther ’13 netted her second goal of the game with 4:42 left in the game to put the score at 6-5 going into half time. The Bantams came out strong in the second half, scoring four out of the five first goals.
Steph Gill ‘12 commented ,“They came out really strong after the half, but we were ready to fight back.”
Captain Chase Delano ’11 put the Panthers on the board with a free position goal at the 24:10 mark putting the score at 7-7. The Bantams retaliated with two more goals before Ellen Hall ’13 scored a pair of goals of her own in under two minutes.
Trinity put in two goals giving them an 11-9 lead with 9:32 left in the game. Souther dodged a defender to score her third goal of the game at 8:36 making it a one-goal game.

wlax-andrewpodrygula-color-1-of-51-300x199

Trinity capitalized on Middlebury’s three yellow cards in the last four minutes to secure their victory.
“The game was ours to take but we couldn’t pull it out in the end,” said Struthers. “We put together two decent halves, but in the end we made some little mistakes that had big consequences,” said Halle.
Halle and Souther each scored three goals for the Panthers, while Sally Ryan ’11 added a pair of their own. Halle and Delano earned two assists apiece, while Ryan caused five turnovers. Lily Nguyen ’12 finished the game with seven saves for the Panthers.
“It definitely wasn’t for a lack of effort that we lost,” said Halle. “We will be working hard to tie up the loose ends of our game this week.” The Panthers will face Skidmore and Tufts later this week hoping to finish the season with a winning streak.
The team will play Skidmore today at home at 5 pm. They then play Tufts on Saturday and WIlliams next friday on the road to completel their regular sesason play before the start of NESCAC Championship play. Last year, the team had a similar record finishing off the year 8-7. Despite beating out Williams in the last game of the season, the Panthers were beaten out of the NESCAC tournament by third-seeded Colby in the quarterfinals. Their season ended in a close 9-8 loss to the Mules on their home court. This time around, Middlebury will look to finish off the regular season in a stronger position in order to get a more favorable playoff-seed, and in doing so hope to advance deeper into the postseason and make good on their dissapointing first-round exit from last year.