Women’s tennis adds another win, blanking Continentals 9-0

This past weekend, the Panthers traveled to Clinton, New York to take on the Hamilton Continentals. Going into the match, they had lost only one of their six games thus far this season, dropping a match 6-3 to Emory on the first stop of their Spring Break tour.
Facing only their second NESCAC opponent of the season, the Panthers improved to 2-0 in NESCAC play with their 9-0 win over the Continentals. Ranked 10th in the country, Middlebury has easily dominated the courts this spring.
The Panthers did not drop a single match to Hamilton, winning every one of their singles matches in straight sets.
Tri-captain Tori Aiello ’12, playing in the number one singles spot, defeated her Continental opponent Deborah Barany 6-2, 6-3, while Leah Kepping ’13 took her match 6-1, 6-1.
Sally Wilkey ’12, one of Aiello’s fellow tri-captains handily beat Hamilton’s Melissa Mann 6-1, 6-2, while number four singles player Brittney Faber ’13 dropped only one game to Alex Arenson, winning 6-0, 6-1.
Anna Burke ’12, playing in the number five singles spot, was the only singles player to win every game, handily beating her challenger 6-0, 6-0. Rounding out the singles matches in the sixth spot, Lauren Kelly ’13 won the closest match of the day 6-4, 6-1.
The Panthers were equally successful in doubles play, with five singles players doubling as doubles players.  Kepping teamed up with Faber to take down the Continental team of Barany and Mann 8-0, while Aiello and Burke matched up against Hamilton’s Arenson and Vrinda Khanna, dropping one game for an 8-1 win.
DeeDee Myers ’13, the only one of the six doubles players to not also play singles on the day, played to an 8-2 win over the Continentals with teammate Kelly.
With the win, the Panthers go to 6-1 on the season, 2-0 in the NESCAC.  On an impressive roll thus far, the 10th-ranked Panthers have some tough NESCAC competition coming up.
The Panthers take on 12th-ranked Bowdoin and Bates away this weekend