Women’s tennis reaches top NESCAC rankings

The women’s tennis team improved to 12-1 on the season with impressive performances on Saturday and Sunday. The Panthers defeated 11th-ranked Bowdoin 6-3 on Saturday before beating Colby and Colby-Sawyer on Sunday.

The two victories over conference opponents propelled Middlebury to a 4-0 record in the NESCAC, placing them atop the league standings.

After beating conference rivals Bowdoin on Saturday, the Panthers continued their dominating play, overpowering Colby 7-2 and then sweeping Colby-Sawyer 9-0 on Sunday.

Head coach Mike Morgan continues to be encouraged by what he sees.

“I was very pleased with the efforts and energy of the team through a long weekend,” said Morgan.

“Everyone on the team contributed this weekend.”

Sophomore standout Victoria Aiello ’12 recognized the significance of beating the 11th-ranked team in the country.

“This weekend was one of the first times we were really challenged as a team,” said Aiello.

“I think we proved that even with a young team, we can handle everything that comes from being the underdog. In winning, I think we’ve established ourselves as a threat and though we still have a lot to prove, we’ve earned some respect and some confidence that could be key to our coming domination.”

After a tough match against Bowdoin, Morgan had more flexibility on Sunday to experiment with his team’s lineup.

“Colby and Colby-Sawyer were both great opportunities to test our confidence and work on a couple of projects in doubles,” said Morgan.

The team is certainly playing with confidence. The Panthers are winners of seven straight matches and a loss to Lynn University from being undefeated.

While the Panthers’ seven-match win streak is a testament to the talent and strength of the team, both Aiello and Coach Morgan are aware of the challenges that lie ahead.

“It only gets tougher from here so I will be excited to see how the team responds to the challenge,” said Morgan.

Over the next two weeks the Panthers have matches at Williams, against the top-ranked Ephs, at Amherst, against the second-ranked Lord Jeffs, and play host to Tufts. Understandably, Morgan is not looking beyond the upcoming schedule.

He and his team are not focused on what they can accomplish, but the matches ahead.

Morgan believes that “at this point, playing in the toughest conference in the country, and with our three most competitive matches of the regular season coming up against Williams, Amherst and Tufts, a very tough top-10 team in my mind, it has nothing to do with ‘possible potential’ and everything to do with heart.”

While the upcoming schedule appears daunting, the Panthers continue to show that they have the ability to beat anyone the play.

“It is always nice to show to ourselves and others that we can play well and bring good results against some of the better teams,” said Morgan.

Or, in other words, Williams and Amherst, beware.

The women played Williams on Wednesday and take on Tufts on Saturday.